ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Room with changing exits

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Room with changing exits

Postby finitethrills » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:38 am

Not sure what happened, but apparently I did not sumbit this the first time. I am trying to create a situation where room exits will change when the player "flips a switch" of some sort. I thought movement restrictions might help, but it looks like that's mostly for locking doors. I tried to use a task setup, thinking I could have the player move into a seperate map, and then have them teleported back past that special room once completed, but then I realized that I still have the movement issue when they come back to the area. The idea is not that a door is locked, but basically that it returns them back to the start of the room sequence until the flip the switch, which then permanently changes the last room exit to continue onto the map insead of returning to start.
finitethrills

Re: Room with changing exits

Postby saabie » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:20 am

You need to create a general task with the same command line as the "Player movement" task.
This should have restrictions that it only runs if the player is in the correct room, tries to go in the direction of the door, and the switch is in the position that returns them to the start.
Don't put any text in the failure messagebox of any of these restrictions.
In the actions of this task move the player back to the start of the room sequence and execute the "Look" task so they know where they are.

Here is a quick example:
MagicDoor.taf
(15.94 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
saabie

Re: Room with changing exits

Postby finitethrills » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:24 pm

You are a peach, thank you!
finitethrills

Return to ADRIFT 5.0