ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Error playing audio: the file exists

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Error playing audio: the file exists

Postby BBBen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:21 am

A player has contacted me saying that my game is crashing early (at the first point a sound would be played) and getting an error that I've attached. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about this that might help? I don't think I've seen this one before.

Incidentally, he says he's been able to play the game before, so I assume it's something specific to his software, since this would be the same version of the game.
Attachments
url.jpg
url.jpg (100.92 KiB) Viewed 203 times
BBBen

Re: Error playing audio: the file exists

Postby R2T1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:17 am

What version of OS does the player have?
I recently upgraded to the Windows 10 Creators update and since then, I have been resetting drivers for a lot of attached devices. I don't think I had any audio problems, but I did have to reset my printer/scanner, camera and various USB attached devices such as smartphones.
Have them check their settings in Windows device manager as Micro$oft in their "wisdom" may have installed their own device drivers.

Just a thought.
R2T1

Postby BBBen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:49 am

Could be something like that, I suppose. I don't know what OS the player is using. A follow up, though, is that it seems to be all audio files in the game that trigger the crash, but turning off sounds in the runner allows the game to be played. Not ideal for my game, since there's a lot of audio, so I'd like to find another solution, but it's better than nothing.
BBBen

Postby R2T1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:27 am

I suppose you could also ask if he can play music files outside of the game. ie. directly play a .MP3 file in their player of choice. If this is OK, then a deeper investigation may be necessary.
R2T1

Postby BBBen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:35 am

I'm guessing he might have noticed if that were the problem, but I suppose I can ask.
BBBen

Return to ADRIFT 5.0