ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Running ADRIFT without installing it

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Running ADRIFT without installing it

Postby roylaza » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:19 pm

Hey Guys.

I am trying to run ADRIFT on a computer without installing it, I've first installed ADRIFT on a virtual machine, and have copied over all the files after installation to the host computer, the runner launches but when I try to launch the game Cursed, I get a message saying I must select a library to run ADRIFT 4 adventures.

So I assume there's something added to the registry when installing ADRIFT so just copying over the files is not enough, I've also tried copying the Library folder that is created in Program Files to the host computer but no success.

So, in short, I was wondering if anyone knows what I need to do to be able to run ADRIFT without actually installing it.

Thanks in advance!
roylaza

Re: Running ADRIFT without installing it

Postby Denk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:41 am

Though I am not capable of answering your technical problem, i just want to make sure that you are not trying to play "Cursed" with ADRIFT 5. You should use the ADRIFT 4 Runner (available under Downloads), otherwise the game will be unplayable (it will appear to work, but it will be full of bugs). Unfortunately most games made with ADRIFT 4 does not work properly in ADRIFT 5.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby David Whyld » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:49 am

Is it v4 or v5 you're talking about (you've posted this in the v5 part of the forum but that's a v4 game you mention)? I managed to get v5 running without installation by copying the files over, including the library files, but v4 requires editing registry files which was a bit beyond me.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby roylaza » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:04 am

Hi Guys

Thanks a lot for your reply, you've saved me time and frustration with your explanation regarding Cursed and V4, I'll keep both runners and make sure to match the correct game to the runner.
roylaza

Postby roylaza » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:59 am

By the way, how do you know which runner each game is made for? can I assume it from the IFID field in the game listing?

For instance:
Trick of Treat - ADRIFT-400-794ABEF0AD3BECF9DFFC28D99E4BDD05 (ADRIFT 4?)
Tingalan - ADRIFT-500-F1BA-85D0-4981-9D08-FD31973DEC19 (ADRIFT 5?)

Thanks
roylaza

Postby Denk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:05 pm

I never thought of looking at the IFID, but I am pretty sure you are right.

If the file is a .blorb-file, which has become the most common way of distributing a V5-game, you can be sure that it is a V5-game.

When there is no IFID given and it is a .taf-file, try first to run it in ADRIFT 4. If it works, it is a V4-game.
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
Denk

Postby David Whyld » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:43 am

v5 will run v4 games but it's pretty hit and miss as to how well it runs them. If you come across a bug, there's no way of knowing if it's an actual bug in the game or something to do with the v5 auto-converts v4 games into the v5 format. My IFComp game from a few years back had a bug in that was present in the v5 version but worked fine in the v4 version. Rotter also mentioned receiving a negative review of one of his v4 games because the person playing it was using v5 and the auto-convert wasn't working very well. Ideally, v5 shouldn't run v4 games at all, but despite many requests for this over the years, it still does and, more frustatingly, it doesn't even warn the user they're playing with the wrong version.

As a general rule: if it's a v4 game, play it with the v4 Runner; if it's a v5 game, play it with the v5 Runner.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby roylaza » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:53 pm

I agree, a warning that you are better off playing the game in the v4 runner would be great.
I did encounter a "v4-to-v5" bug very early on in Cursed but since I didn't have much time to play I left it intending to go back and try again (not yet realizing that what prevented me from proceeding was a show-stopper bug) basically the bug wouldn't create a North and South exits after climbing the stairs to the landing, so I was unable to continue out of that area, needless to say after getting there with the v4 runner everything worked butter-smooth.
roylaza

Return to ADRIFT 5.0