ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT v4 versus ADRIFT v5 (Larry & David only! :) )

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: ADRIFT v4 versus ADRIFT v5 (Larry & David only! :) )

Postby Lazzah » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:09 am

Part of the problem with the boxes is that Campbell removed the minimize button and replaced it with a help button. This was one of the most stupid things Campbell ever did to v5. If ADRIFT ever goes open-source this is one of the first things that needs to be fixed!!!
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:24 pm

Me again. Another day, another issue.

Is there any way of seeing which location a task runs in without opening the task up and going to the restrictions tab? I only have a handful of tasks in my game so far but it's a pain remembering where they each work - short of calling them things like GET SWORD (IN CAVE LOCATION) or KILL GOBLIN (IN OASIS LOCATION). v4 had an option to filter tasks by location, but I can't find this feature in v5.

Is there a way to insert a task at a specific place in the task list? Again, v4 had this feature but if it's in v5, I can't find it. If v5 doesn't have it, how do people keep their games organised? If you're having hundreds of tasks and they're all just added to the bottom of the task list, don't things become disorganised very quickly? I know I can drag and drop tasks but that seems like a fiddly way of doing something and I don't want to imagine how long it would take to drag and drop hundreds or thousands of tasks.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:48 am

I used to just make blank tasks called things like ___FOREST___ and then stick everything relevant underneath it, but I've never been actually good at using the generator so maybe someone has a better method.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby rotter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:38 am

David Whyld wrote:Me again. Another day, another issue.

Is there any way of seeing which location a task runs in without opening the task up and going to the restrictions tab? I only have a handful of tasks in my game so far but it's a pain remembering where they each work - short of calling them things like GET SWORD (IN CAVE LOCATION) or KILL GOBLIN (IN OASIS LOCATION). v4 had an option to filter tasks by location, but I can't find this feature in v5.

Is there a way to insert a task at a specific place in the task list? Again, v4 had this feature but if it's in v5, I can't find it. If v5 doesn't have it, how do people keep their games organised? If you're having hundreds of tasks and they're all just added to the bottom of the task list, don't things become disorganised very quickly? I know I can drag and drop tasks but that seems like a fiddly way of doing something and I don't want to imagine how long it would take to drag and drop hundreds or thousands of tasks.

Of course, you need to do that in V4, forgotten about that. But I've not missed needed this do this in V5. If you use the folders (one per room seems to work) and meaningful task names you shouldn't need have to order the tasks. Everything is in one folder, you do not need to scroll up and down a massive list then. Only need one or two folders open at a time - the one's you are working on. V5 will put things in the current folder.

You should give your tasks meaningful names otherwise if you have to find them in any list you will have loads of tasks with the same name - and not be able to work out which is which. If I need to find a task or anything else I use the find command.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Lazzah » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:45 am

David Whyld wrote:Me again. Another day, another issue.

Why use such a long marker, why not just GET SWORD (CAVE). This feature does not exist in v5, but I can see how it would be useful. The location boxes do have a tab for what objects are associated with the location but it would be good if there were other tabs for tasks and events. Has this ever been requested on the bugs and enhancements page? Mind you, would it be worth posting an enhancement request, given the current state of play with ADRIFT?! (Why doesn't Campbell tell us anything? What is wrong with the guy!?)

It is interesting reading about the difficulties you are having with v5, as I have never experienced them. I guess I have been using v5 for so long now (and have never - until now - used v4) that working in a certain way has made all these things 2nd nature to me.
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:21 am

Lumin wrote:I used to just make blank tasks called things like ___FOREST___ and then stick everything relevant underneath it, but I've never been actually good at using the generator so maybe someone has a better method.

Thats what I've been doing as well, but not being able to insert tasks in v5 makes this a problem. I suppose I could do that in v5, but as all tasks added end up at the bottom of the tasks list and there's no option to insert them where they're needed, I'm not sure it would work. Copying and pasting tasks might be my best shot.

Rotter wrote:If you use the folders (one per room seems to work) and meaningful task names you shouldn't need have to order the tasks. Everything is in one folder, you do not need to scroll up and down a massive list then. Only need one or two folders open at a time - the one's you are working on. V5 will put things in the current folder.

So... folders looks to be the way to go if you need to keep everything organised. I never realised that but I guess it makes sense now it's been pointed out.

I think this illustrates one of the big problems between v4 and v5: the learning curve. v4 doesn't really have one unless you're getting into the complex stuff, but with v5 you need a much better understanding of the program before you do anything. That's quite off-putting. I can understand just why the ADRIFT user base dropped so sharply once Campbell stopped working on v4 and switched to v5.

Lazzah wrote:Why use such a long marker, why not just GET SWORD (CAVE). This feature does not exist in v5, but I can see how it would be useful. The location boxes do have a tab for what objects are associated with the location but it would be good if there were other tabs for tasks and events. Has this ever been requested on the bugs and enhancements page? Mind you, would it be worth posting an enhancement request, given the current state of play with ADRIFT?! (Why doesn't Campbell tell us anything? What is wrong with the guy!?)

It is interesting reading about the difficulties you are having with v5, as I have never experienced them. I guess I have been using v5 for so long now (and have never - until now - used v4) that working in a certain way has made all these things 2nd nature to me.

The long task names was just an example I was thinking of to try and keep track of things. I'll probably go with Rotter's suggestion of one folder per location.

Well, it's certainly been an experience using v5. Not exactly a pleasant one, though, and I can't see myself ever using it after this comp is over (unless Campbell makes some huge changes to it, which I don't see happening any time soon). If I'm going to write any further ADRIFT games, I'll be using v4.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:25 am

David Whyld wrote:[Well, it's certainly been an experience using v5. Not exactly a pleasant one, though, and I can't see myself ever using it after this comp is over (unless Campbell makes some huge changes to it, which I don't see happening any time soon). If I'm going to write any further ADRIFT games, I'll be using v4.

Look at the bright side David. After this whenever you're critisizing V.5 People can't say that you don't know what you're talking about. :wink: Now, at least, you've tried it.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 5.0