ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT v4 versus ADRIFT v5 (Larry & David only! :) )

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: ADRIFT v4 versus ADRIFT v5 (Larry & David only! :) )

Postby David Whyld » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Lazzah wrote:
David Whyld wrote:My game is likely to be as simple as possible.

That's not the spirit, David, you should be trying to produce as good a game as you can, as I will be with v4.

I'm not going to spend an age writing this game and I'm not going to kill myself doing it. It's for fun, and I don't actually find v5 much fun at all.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Question: What does ALR stand for?
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:14 pm

ADRIFT Language Resource. I think that's what they call text overrides in v5.

put some text here|it gets replaced with whatever's on the right side of the dash

David Whyld

Postby rotter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Lazzah wrote:Question: What does ALR stand for?

You have to import the ADRIFT Language Resource text file into V4.

The is a sample of one from an old V4 game of mine.

adrift Code: Select all

#
# directions
#
You can only move up|It looks like you can only go up from here
#
# Responses
#
Also here is|You can also see
You are holding|You are carrying
You can move|You appear to be able to move
Take what?|You can't see that.
You can't go in any direction!|You can't go in that direction
does not respond to your question|looks puzzled at your question
#
# Default no ideas messages
#
default0|just looks blankly at you.
default1|just gives a shrug of the shoulders.
default2|just stares into the distance.
default3|doesn't seems to understand.

Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Lazzah » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:43 pm

rotter wrote:
Lazzah wrote:Question: What does ALR stand for?

You have to import the ADRIFT Language Resource text file into V4.

The is a sample of one from an old V4 game of mine.

adrift Code: Select all

#
# directions
#
You can only move up|It looks like you can only go up from here
#
# Responses
#
Also here is|You can also see
You are holding|You are carrying
You can move|You appear to be able to move
Take what?|You can't see that.
You can't go in any direction!|You can't go in that direction
does not respond to your question|looks puzzled at your question
#
# Default no ideas messages
#
default0|just looks blankly at you.
default1|just gives a shrug of the shoulders.
default2|just stares into the distance.
default3|doesn't seems to understand.

So where do I find that?

I cannot believe that David finds all this "easier" than v5???!!! I just created my first location and was astounded to find that I cannot simply do a carriage return when entering text, I obviously have to put a <br> in each time I want to start a new paragraph. Unbelievable. And this is supposed to be "quicker" than v5. Who is he kidding?

Still, I soldier on.....
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 pm

You could double click to bring up the nice big text window if you like, but I suspect you're just looking for reasons to tell us how bad v4 is, so I won't mention it. Not that CTRL+enter really takes long to type, though.

You'll find the ALR in the default v4 folder. Or create one via a text document and just put .alr on the end of the file name.

David Whyld

Postby saabie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:47 pm

v5 does still support ALR files if you want to use them.
Under IMPORT on the main menu is "Language Resource" which will import an ALR file and creates text overrides.
Under EXPORT you can export text overrides to an ALR file.
saabie

Postby David Whyld » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:29 am

Ah, I never knew v5 still had the ALR. Thanks. That'll make it easier to keep track of things without cluttering the screen up with a hundred windows.

Also, is it just a setting on my computer messing up or do columns in v5 hang off the screen for anyone else? Whenever I bring the map up in the v5 Generator, it bumps all the other columns - locations, objects, tasks, etc - off the bottom of the screen and I have to drag the scrollbar up and down to be able to see all of them. Is that intended or some kind of bug?

David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:44 am

David Whyld wrote:Ah, I never knew v5 still had the ALR. Thanks. That'll make it easier to keep track of things without cluttering the screen up with a hundred windows.

Also, is it just a setting on my computer messing up or do columns in v5 hang off the screen for anyone else? Whenever I bring the map up in the v5 Generator, it bumps all the other columns - locations, objects, tasks, etc - off the bottom of the screen and I have to drag the scrollbar up and down to be able to see all of them. Is that intended or some kind of bug?

What OS is your computer? I run Windows 7 at home and Windows 10 at work and what you describe has never happened to me on either computer. Mind you, I keep everything in folders, most of which are at the TOP of the screen, as in the screenshot attached.
Attachments
ADRIFT5.jpg
ADRIFT5.jpg (308.85 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:48 am

Windows 10 at home and work (not by choice as I'd much sooner have Windows 7). If it's just me it happens to, then it's probably some setting I've overridden, but I'm sure when I tried v5 out on my old Windows 7 computer years ago I has the same issue.

David Whyld

Postby saabie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:13 pm

There are a multitude of options for the screen layout.
If you grab the title-bar of the map or the folder window you can have them floating anywhere on the screen or "dock" them to any of the four edges.
You can close them with their X button and bring them back with the buttons on the "view" toolbar.
You can press the "pin" symbol next to the X which causes them to collapse into a thin bar with a labelled button. Placing the mouse over this button slides it out again temporarily for a quick look, while clicking on it locks it open until you click on one of the folder windows.
saabie

Postby Lumin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:27 pm

Is there a setting that fixes that annoying thing where clicking outside of a box you're editing pushes it behind the generator and makes you minimize the whole program to get to it again?

I actually remember mentioning this to Campbell ages and ages ago like shortly after v5 was released, and yet it managed to get on my nerves all over again last night.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:58 pm

I think I've run into that problem quite a few times. I'm forever losing open windows and having to alt+tab to find them. Why does v5 do this? It's got to be a bug surely.

In fact, the more I use v5 the more annoyances I keep coming across. Why does pressing ESC shut down open tabs?

The whole not being able to restrict a task to a single location without going to the restriction tab is a pain in the ass. Why can't we just have a list of locations on the right hand side like we did in v4? I mean, surely that's a lot less hassle than messing around with the restrictions tab?

Why doesn't CTRL-TAB work like it did in v4 where you could jump back and forth between tabs without forever clicking all over the place? In v5, it just brings up a window in the middle of the screen.

I'm sure I can get a game done with v5, but I can't guarantee it will be a good one. I actually found Inform 7 to be quite a bit easier to get to grips with. The more I used Inform 7, the more I found myself able to get my head around it natural language approach, but v5 just seems more and more clunky the more I try to use it. The rough edges make it seem more like an early beta version than a finished product.

David Whyld

Postby David Whyld » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:16 pm

This is before the display gets messed up:

01.jpg
01.jpg (271.15 KiB) Viewed 946 times

And this is after:
02.jpg
02.jpg (227.8 KiB) Viewed 946 times

Strangely it didn't happen with the map this time but when I clicked on user functions. Not really a big deal but I just figured I'd mention it in case anyone knows how to prevent it happening.

David Whyld

Postby saabie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:54 pm

Lumin wrote:Is there a setting that fixes that annoying thing where clicking outside of a box you're editing pushes it behind the generator and makes you minimize the whole program to get to it again?
You can't stop it disappearing as its a separate window, but if you have "Show all open windows in taskbar" ticked in the Settings then you only need to click its button on the windows taskbar to get it back.

David Whyld wrote:This is before the display gets messed up:

Strangely it didn't happen with the map this time but when I clicked on user functions. Not really a big deal but I just figured I'd mention it in case anyone knows how to prevent it happening.
It is not "messed up", your open folders are too big to fit in the main window so ADRIFT has added scroll bars so you can have as many open as you want at the same time and scroll around to see them.
If you want them all visible at once then all you need to do is make the user-functions folder window smaller and re-arrange them so they all fit without overlapping.
The "Tile vertically" button on the View toolbar is a quick way to make all the open folders visible, but it is better to size and arrange them manually as some will have only a couple of items in them and others will be a long list.
saabie

PreviousNext

Return to ADRIFT 5.0