ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Adrift not opening at all?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Adrift not opening at all?

Postby Nyght » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:11 am

Hi, so I've installed both the Library and Sample files, as well as the dev500.exe, run500.exe and so on, but whenever I try to launch either dev500 or run500, it pops up the error: Insufficient system resources to run the requested service. I checked, and I found both of the .NET versions installed, so what could be making this happen?

Edit: I just tried to install and run Adrift 4, and that's currently running fine, but what would be causing the problem with Adrift 5?
Nyght

Re: Adrift not opening at all?

Postby rotter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum. Did you run setup.exe from ADRIFT5Setup.zip to install everything?
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Nyght » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:34 pm

Yeah, I actually kept doing that to bring back the .exe files when they disappeared, and thanks!
Nyght

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Did it work, or are you still up the creek? :wink:
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 First beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Nyght » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:46 pm

No, I'm still having problems with Adrift5, I did get Adrift4 to work though
Nyght

Postby Lumin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:04 pm

Not sure if it makes a difference, but did you download the full install PLUS the update files? The full install link should always be the latest, you won't need the others unless you're updating an old version.

Keep us updated either way, but I hope you can figure it out.

Otherwise...grab a sword and join the Knights of V4 I guess, looks like we might have a full on holy war going on around here by this time next month! :wink:
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:13 pm

This looks like a sign!
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby Nyght » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:52 pm

Yeah, I've already been messing around w/ V4, while I try to figure out how to fix V5, the one thing I can't really figure out is the task/event system XD
Nyght

Postby Lumin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:13 am

Nyght wrote:Yeah, I've already been messing around w/ V4, while I try to figure out how to fix V5, the one thing I can't really figure out is the task/event system XD

What's the specific problem? Tasks are just the things the player types to make the game do things, and then you set what actions they trigger. Events add another layer of complexity to that, like you can break up something a task does into stages and have it happen turn by turn. But events aren't necessary for every game.

Also hurray for another user in a real timezone for normal people! I've been so alone. :(
Lumin

Postby Nyght » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:23 am

Well, it's more of how they would work together to make quests and then also use it to discover a random character in a room, and/or call a random character to the player's room without calling them all/basing them in that central room. XD I'm attempting to make a sort of party system-ish thing
Nyght

Postby Lumin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:03 am

Nyght wrote:Well, it's more of how they would work together to make quests and then also use it to discover a random character in a room, and/or call a random character to the player's room without calling them all/basing them in that central room. XD I'm attempting to make a sort of party system-ish thing

Ooh, I'm a little rusty at this stuff and I just bash things together with blunt objects on even my best day tbh so don't know if I can help much there. You would need to have a task randomize a variable, then trigger an event that triggers another task based on what the variable winds up as I'm guessing.

If you're doing some kind of RPG thing you may actually wind up wanting v5. It'll be pretty complicated to hack together either way as ADRIFT is designed for traditional text adventures, but I v5 gives you a few more options that might come in handy there, depending on how complex you're planning to get.
Lumin

Postby Nyght » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:38 am

Yeah, the party thing is pretty much going to be the most complicated system in the game XD It's basically just a way to gather other people who have unique-ish skills (Maybe that's how I could define each character?) to open up new areas and options. Like a person in the staff system, once acquired into the party, would be able to unlock an office door or something, but I'd like it to be random so that the player can make their own path. I was able to write a task that would make a character follow around the Player, so now I just have to figure out how to define everything and make the randomizer and all that XD
Nyght

Postby Lumin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:17 am

Hmm ok I think I've got this. Just tossing together a test version to be sure.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:27 am

Alrighty here goes:

1.) Create a variable. I called mine partymembers. Set it to zero.

2.) I made a 'central room' and a 'side room' with a bed to sleep on. >SLEEP executes an event (unnecessary actually but depending on how you set up the scene you might want it to play out a few turns. Otherwise just have SLEEP do everything I have the next task do.)

3.) The event executes another task called #randomizer. Which does this:

Each of those tasks has a restriction of the partymembers variable matching its number, and if so, it puts the corresponding character into the central room.

The end.
Lumin

Postby Nyght » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

It seems like that's worked so far! Thank you!
Nyght

Next

Return to ADRIFT 5.0