ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Adrift not opening at all?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: Adrift not opening at all?

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:23 am

Lumin wrote:snip<
Otherwise...grab a sword and join the Knights of V4 I guess, looks like we might have a full on holy war going on around here by this time next month! :wink:

Nyght, Stay away from the Dark side... :P
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:28 am

Po. Prune wrote:
Otherwise...grab a sword and join the Knights of V4 I guess, looks like we might have a full on holy war going on around here by this time next month! :wink:

No I think we need to embrace this. Everybody take a side and then we have a ranking system based on games released or reviews written etc. 2018 is a fight to the death!! You're just not thinking outside the box Po, this will SAVE THE FORUM. ]:)
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:41 am

Lumin wrote:
Po. Prune wrote:

No I think we need to embrace this. Everybody take a side and then we have a ranking system based on games released or reviews written etc. 2018 is a fight to the death!! You're just not thinking outside the box Po, this will SAVE THE FORUM. ]:)

What happened to the "Christmas Spirit" and "Love they neighbor"? :angel:
Lumin you are a visious woman! rofl
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:06 pm

Nyght wrote:Yeah, I actually kept doing that to bring back the .exe files when they disappeared, and thanks!

The exe-files disappearing could(?) indicate that your antivirus-software doesn't like ADRIFT 5. Unfortunately quite a lot of antivirus-software incorrectly think that ADRIFT 5 is a virus. Perhaps you could try to uninstall your antivirus-program temporarily to see if that fixes the problem. If it does, consider choosing another antivirus-software.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby rotter » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Denk wrote:
Nyght wrote:Yeah, I actually kept doing that to bring back the .exe files when they disappeared, and thanks!

The exe-files disappearing could(?) indicate that your antivirus-software doesn't like ADRIFT 5. Unfortunately quite a lot of antivirus-software incorrectly think that ADRIFT 5 is a virus. Perhaps you could try to uninstall your antivirus-program temporarily to see if that fixes the problem. If it does, consider choosing another antivirus-software.

Amazingly I just had that happen to me this morning, the Anti-virus quarantine the exe.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Lumin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:52 pm

Po. Prune wrote:What happened to the "Christmas Spirit" and "Love they neighbor"? :angel:

Christmas ended like five days ago, and my neighbors are pretty far away and all rednecks anyway.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Lumin wrote:
Po. Prune wrote:What happened to the "Christmas Spirit" and "Love they neighbor"? :angel:

Christmas ended like five days ago, and my neighbors are pretty far away and all rednecks anyway.

Come visit us in Denmark next Christmas.... :yeah:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Nyght » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:36 pm

Denk wrote:

Ok, I'll try that. I already have the 2 Antivirus that came installed on my computer disabled already XD They got annoying after a while saying my trial was over... and they still kept doing things...
Nyght

Postby Nyght » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:29 pm

I ended up finding an extra Antivirus that wasn't disabled, I was able to disable it and then Adrift 5 started up, thank you everyone!
Nyght

Postby R2T1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:29 pm

If you are using Win 10, then you "should" be able to remove/uninstall the 2 trial AVs. Providing you don't visit websites of a dubious nature, then Windows Defender is quite capable and doesn't interfere with other software. (At least in my experience.)
R2T1

Postby Nyght » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:54 pm

R2T1 wrote:If you are using Win 10, then you "should" be able to remove/uninstall the 2 trial AVs. Providing you don't visit websites of a dubious nature, then Windows Defender is quite capable and doesn't interfere with other software. (At least in my experience.)

I was able to disable Malwarebytes and Windows Defender, (I currently use Malwarebytes) it was that McAfee was still running while disabled, idk how or why, but I uninstalled McAfee and then Adrift 5 started working XD
Nyght

Postby Lazzah » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:59 pm

These occurrences of anti-virus software identifying ADRIFT files as viruses are know as "false positives". If you visit the website for the AV software you have, you can report the false positive files - I had to upload an example - and they will eventually stop deleting the files. I did this at work where the AV software is Symantec and now any ADRIFT files are ignored by the AV software.

HTH

P.S. Happy New Year everyone!!!
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 5.0