ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

"Locking" runner layout

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

"Locking" runner layout

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:29 pm

I thought I'd asked this before, but I can't for the life of me find the post so, with the risk of repeating myself, I'm posting this.
I need some help regarding the possibility to "lock" the runner layout screen.
In D-Day, it's important that the runner looks a certain way in order for the game to look its best. With the large amount of text I have inserted "press any key" commands to spit the text so it's easiest to read.
But when I run the game from the developer, or through the runner it looks like this:
D-day -1.jpg
D-day -1.jpg (276.24 KiB) Viewed 815 times

I have even tried to run it as a blorb file and an .exe file with the same result.

I want the layout to look like this:
D-day -2.jpg
D-day -2.jpg (371.59 KiB) Viewed 815 times

If anyone has a solution or an idea I'd be more than happy to hear from him/her (Perhaps Saabie?)
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 29Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: "Locking" runner layout

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:30 pm

There's nothing more likely to have me quitting a game than being forced to use an interface I don't like. I'd hate to have that picture at the top and all the empty wasted space around it. Why not let the player decide how they want the interface to look?

Aside from anything, if the player has their computer set to a different screen resolution to you, or they use a different font size, or even font face, it won't look like that anyway.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:47 pm

I have suggested to Campbell that it should be possible to alter the colour around the picture, black for instance to avoid the irritation of having the grey punch you in the eye.
As for the resolution I'll have to look into that but I would assume that most players today would have set their computer to the highest resolution possible.
I'm not saying that the player shouldn't be allowed to change the layout (or maybe I am :wink: ) Let me rephrase it then. I would like to be able to release the game with MY choice of layout. If the player then wants to change it, by all means let him.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 29Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:53 pm

The highest resolution for my computer makes everything look horribly cramped so I changed it to a lower one to make everything look normal.

Also, does everyone play IF in a maximum window? I do, but I'm betting a good few don't.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 pm

David Whyld wrote:Also, does everyone play IF in a maximum window? I do, but I'm betting a good few don't.

Nope, only the left of my screen is in an ideal reading position and instead of paragraphs I'd get like two long scraggly lines.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Lazzah » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:18 am

Po. Prune wrote:As for the resolution I'll have to look into that but I would assume that most players today would have set their computer to the highest resolution possible.

Don't forget that many IF players have visual impediments and will have their display on a low resolution in order to read the text. I have my Kindle set to a very small font but I have seen fellow commuters with their Kindles set to a much larger font as presumably they have bad eyesight. The same goes for computer monitor screens.

I have advised you in a private email how I think you should fix this problem so that everyone will be happy. :)
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Return to ADRIFT 5.0