ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Modules Problem

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Modules Problem

Postby Lazzah » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:03 pm

I am attempting to start a new game which uses some locations from a previous game, and I have been saving folders as modules and importing them into the new game.

The first folder that contained locations imported OK and I can see the locations on the game map. However, I have exported/imported some more folders containing locations and when I open the game map they are nowhere to be seen!

Can anyone help? :anyone: :? :Thanks:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Re: Modules Problem

Postby DazaKiwi » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Can you see the newer locations in the locations folder or their own folder you imported them with?

I think ive had an issue like this in the past, cant recall how i resolved that. But if you do see the locations in the locations folder you could try opening them if that might trigger them appearing on the map. Also check if the map hasn't created another page and dumped your locations there.
DazaKiwi

Postby saabie » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:58 am

Did you try saving the game and then re-opening it in the developer.
Sometimes it is able to fix itself when it reloads the data.

This is caused by the folder export not including the map information in the export of the locations.
When you import it into another game ADRIFT needs to try to guess where on the map to put the locations and can get confused.
I also have noticed that if you try to delete one of the imported locations before saving and re-loading the game then it deletes it from the map but not from the folder.
If saving and re-opening doesn't fix it then you may need to export the entire first game and manually extract the <Map> section of the .AMF file, remove any unwanted locations, then insert it into the location folder export .AMF file just before the </Adventure> tag (or get someone who understands XML files to do it for you).
You also may be to put all of the location folders, that you want to export, inside of another folder so that you can export all of them into the same file.
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:33 am

I gave up in the end and started the tedious process of deleting all the items in the game that I do not want in the new one....which is 95% of the game! Oh well, it helps to pass the time!
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Return to ADRIFT 5.0