ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Addressing characters in turn

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Addressing characters in turn

Postby Denk » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi all, hope some of you can help me.

I am trying to handle the characters present in the room one by one, but the method I am using seems to want to handle the characters simultaneously.

To illustrate my problem, I have created a small demo, attached below. If you type TEST in the Living Room, I get the response:

You say "Hi!" to Annie and Ben.

But I would like to handle them one by one, so the response in this simplified example should be:

You say "Hi!" to Annie.
You say "Hi!" to Ben.

The method should work independent of who I come across and how many are in the room. In this simplified example I could in theory just make an alternative description for each character, but for my game, I need a systematic approach looping through the present characters one by one.

Does anybody know if this is possible?
Attachments
address characters.taf
(15.16 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Re: Addressing characters in turn

Postby ElliotM » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Hey Denk, this is something you can control in a Task's Advanced Tab. To get the separate non-aggregate output you wanted, do the following:

• Go to your Task 'address characters in turn' and open it
  • Open the Advanced Tab (last one on the right opposite of the Description tab)
  • Uncheck the box labeled "Aggregate out, where possible"

That check box is checked by default, so if you have other tasks you want to behave that way, you'll need to go and uncheck that box for each of them.
ElliotM

Re: Addressing characters in turn

Postby Denk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:33 am

Thanks ElliotM, that works perfectly :-)
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
Denk

Return to ADRIFT 5.0