ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Blindfolded Player, how would you handle this? (solved)

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Blindfolded Player, how would you handle this? (solved)

Postby enerdoe » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:24 am

I didn't found anything related in the Forum.

So, my plan is, to have the player blindfolded, of course not for the entire game. For the duration of being blindfolded, I use alternate room descriptions that tell the player what he can hear, smell and touch, which is pretty easy to do. Almost all default descriptions can be left blank to use alternate descriptions only.

The real problem are the locations short descriptions, which must have a default description so that adrift can distinguish the loacations from each other. However, a blindfolded player is not suppossed to "see" the rooms names, because the challenge is to indentify the room by the description of what can be heard, smelled and touched (i'am also hiding all rooms off the map...).
The only solution I found so far is to use text overrides, which works actually pretty well, except that it seems, that I have to create for each room one text override.

My questions are:
Is it possible to include multiple sentences in a text override like: Original Text: RoomA/RoomB/RoomC -> Replacement: RoomUnknown ? (this would make it less tedious and more overseeable for me...)

And, does anyone know other (and hopefully easier) ways to hide the original loaction short description and replacing it, when player is blindfolded?
Last edited by enerdoe on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
enerdoe

Re: Blindfolded Player, how would you handle this?

Postby saabie » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:15 am

Open the location and click the down-arrow on the right of the short description to open it into a text box.
Right-click on the text box and select "Add Alternate Description"
Add a restriction to only show the alternate description if the player is blindfolded.
Change "append this to previous" to "start description with" using the drop-down list to the right of the restriction you just added.
Note that this will also blank the room name on the map as long as they are blindfolded.
saabie

Re: Blindfolded Player, how would you handle this?

Postby enerdoe » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:14 am

And I thought, "start description with this" would merely put the text in front of the default, instead of replacing it, and all other alternate descriptions...

Thanks a lot saabie, :thanks: it works like a charm and when used in the properties of group "Everywhere" I can replace all room names to unknown at once, thats awesome!
enerdoe

Return to ADRIFT 5.0