ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT 5 source code

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

ADRIFT 5 source code

Postby Campbell » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:24 pm

I've uploaded the ADRIFT 5 source code here. I'm still intending on continuing the project, but making the source available will allow others to contribute to bug fixes and features, or to make ports for other platforms.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: ADRIFT 5 source code

Postby Lazzah » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:09 pm

Campbell wrote:I've uploaded the ADRIFT 5 source code here. I'm still intending on continuing the project, but making the source available will allow others to contribute to bug fixes and features, or to make ports for other platforms.

Thank you, Campbell! :claps: :D :yeah:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:56 am

That was one big step, Campbell. Knowing how much work you have put into Adrift through the years. (Thanks a million :thanks: )
I hope that someone picks up on this and carry the torch forward.
It's good to know that you will still be working the "project" :yeah:
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby ElliotM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:44 am

For people wanting to poke around the code, which file(s) would you recommend looking at first? Which files would help someone develop/follow Runner logic, for instance?
ElliotM

Postby Campbell » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:27 am

The guts of the Runner logic is in clsUserSession. So in there you have GetGeneralTask where it identifies which task to run from a given input.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby ralphmerridew » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:27 am

I'm surprised saabie hasn't commented. This ought to make his project much easier.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:54 am

ralphmerridew wrote:I'm surprised saabie hasn't commented. This ought to make his project much easier.

He's probably busy programming already... :wink:
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Kennedy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:51 am

It's awesome that the source code for version 5 is being released. Will the code for version 4 be released as well? It may be helpful if programmers can compare the two versions to see how things are done differently. Also having the source for version 4 may help with making the version 5 runner better able to handle version 4 files.
Last edited by Kennedy on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kennedy

Postby saabie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:23 am

P/o Prune wrote:
ralphmerridew wrote:I'm surprised saabie hasn't commented. This ought to make his project much easier.

He's probably busy programming already... :wink:
I've been busy reading the source code :)
I have been getting a bit bogged down in the details of implementing the main parser. Trying to emulate the behavior of the ADRIFT runner by running tests to see what it does in every possible situation is a lot harder than implementing known logic.
Now I can compare my code to Campbell's I can see exactly why mine behaves differently under particular circumstances and so I should be able to get it working properly a lot quicker :D
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:29 am

I do hope that programmers wishing to help with this project won't immediately rush to add new features, etc., before fixing the many existing bugs in ADRIFT. Surely that should be a priority before adding anything new?

I only wish that I had the neccessary skills to contribute, but alas I am a dunce when it comes to any sort of computer programming. However, if any developer needs someone to test bug-fixes, etc, then I would be happy to help out.
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:38 am

This is very positive news. At the very least, if Campbell does decide not to continue with ADRIFT for whatever reason, there's always a chance someone else can step in and take over things.

Right now, I really wish I had some kind of programming experience myself because there's a lot I'd like to change with v5, but as a non-programmer I wouldn't have a clue where to start.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Actually, even if you have no coding experience, I've uploaded the StandardLibrary too. There are lots of outstanding issues with the library itself which need fixing, so that might be something you could assist with. :)
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:36 am

Campbell wrote:Actually, even if you have no coding experience, I've uploaded the StandardLibrary too. There are lots of outstanding issues with the library itself which need fixing, so that might be something you could assist with. :)

Have you got any examples of what needs fixing that we need to look for? I could have a go using Note++
DazaKiwi

Postby Campbell » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:18 am

If you go to the bugs page and add "library" as a filter. It's not perfect (we could do with tags on the bugs list really), but you should see some of the items that are just issues with the library.

So looking at the first few items, these all look to be issues in the library:

http://www.adrift.co/bug/19147
http://www.adrift.co/bug/19114
http://www.adrift.co/bug/19071
http://www.adrift.co/bug/18982
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby electricimage » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:07 am

Hello, I'm new here, but I am very interested in this project for my personal gain. Also, I would like to contribute or help where I can, but I'm fairly new to the development aspects of IF. Visual Studio allows importing of previous version solutions, but I have to ask. What version of Visual Studio did you use? was it Professional or community? and are there any custom controls in there that might not be available in the community editions?

Congratulations on this big step. I have followed some of the threads over the years where others were asking for source code and this is a very nice project to contribute to the IF community. :bravo:
electricimage

Next

Return to ADRIFT 5.0