ADRIFT Forum


The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Searching lists

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Searching lists

Postby Campbell » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:41 am

Lazzah, is this the sort of thing you have in mind for this item?

restriction.png
restriction.png (43.82 KiB) Viewed 559 times
ADRIFT Developer developer.
User avatar
Campbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4618
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:05 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Searching lists

Postby rotter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:33 am

This would be brilliant for Tasks and Variables as well. On a reasonable sized game you can spend a long time scrolling up and down the lists looking for the thing you want.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
User avatar
rotter
 
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 12:12 am
Location: UK
Points: 10

Re: Searching lists

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:53 am

rotter wrote:This would be brilliant for Tasks and Variables as well. On a reasonable sized game you can spend a long time scrolling up and down the lists looking for the thing you want.

I second that (if nothing else than to get Campbell working again rofl )
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
User avatar
P/o Prune
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4192
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:18 am
Location: Denmark
Points: 23

Re: Searching lists

Postby Lazzah » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:15 am

Campbell wrote:Lazzah, is this the sort of thing you have in mind for this item?

restriction.png

Exactamundo! Thanks Campbell! :claps: :D :yeah:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
User avatar
Lazzah
Moderator
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 am
Location: London, England
Points: 17

Re: Searching lists

Postby Campbell » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:42 am

Hee hee, just thought I'd whet your appetites there. I'll get that working in the next release. I have to say, it bugs me too.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
User avatar
Campbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4618
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:05 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Searching lists

Postby Lazzah » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:58 am

rotter wrote:This would be brilliant for Tasks and Variables as well. On a reasonable sized game you can spend a long time scrolling up and down the lists looking for the thing you want.

I think you will find that tasks and variables already search by their initial letter. If you are referencing particular tasks or variables (or anything!) and want to find them fast, just put an underline in front of the name, i.e. _VariableName. That way the item you want to find will be at the start of the list and you won't have to scroll down to find it. Once you have finished working with the item, remove the underline and it will revert to its alphabetical place in the list.
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
User avatar
Lazzah
Moderator
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 am
Location: London, England
Points: 17

Re: Searching lists

Postby rotter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Lazzah wrote:
rotter wrote:just put an underline in front of the name, i.e. _VariableName. That way the item you want to find will be at the start of the list and you won't have to scroll down to find it. Once you have finished working with the item, remove the underline and it will revert to its alphabetical place in the list.


The underline thing is a very good idea. But, I'm still spend a lot of time going up and down the task and variable list in my current WIP. Would be really really great for objects though.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
User avatar
rotter
 
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 12:12 am
Location: UK
Points: 10

Re: Searching lists

Postby Campbell » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:18 am

Well hopefully this will eliminate the need for those sorts of workarounds.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
User avatar
Campbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4618
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:05 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Searching lists

Postby Lazzah » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:26 am

rotter wrote:
Lazzah wrote:
rotter wrote:just put an underline in front of the name, i.e. _VariableName. That way the item you want to find will be at the start of the list and you won't have to scroll down to find it. Once you have finished working with the item, remove the underline and it will revert to its alphabetical place in the list.


The underline thing is a very good idea. But, I'm still spend a lot of time going up and down the task and variable list in my current WIP. Would be really really great for objects though.

I use the underline trick for everything, my LOOK task has two underlines so that it is permanently at the top of the task list. I even have an underline on the Open Status property as this is one I reference most of all.
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
User avatar
Lazzah
Moderator
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 am
Location: London, England
Points: 17


Return to ADRIFT 5.0

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 3 guests