ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Character hunting in a IF

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Character hunting in a IF

Postby RenatoDias » Tue May 01, 2018 7:33 pm

Hey guys. So uh, I'm planning a kind of minigame for my game, but I would like some opinions if it would be annoying to do such a thing. The game happens in a manor, where the main character(a girl) along with three other girls start to live in on the game.
They arrive on the manor, and the manor owner, a lady on her 40s, says that she would tell the family story when the girls get reunited in the living room.
In order to listen to the story, the player would have to reunite all the girls in the living room, and to do that, he/she would have to search the manor for them and ask them to meet in the living room. And while searching, the player could explore the accessible parts of the manor during that period(that happens during the day)
Would that be too annoying for the player?
The meeting happens during the day and the real game happens at night.
Thanks, guys!
RenatoDias

Re: Character hunting in a IF

Postby ElliotM » Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 pm

As an excuse to explore and learn the layout of the house, that isn't such a bad idea. Did you want the characters to be placed randomly? You can do that by moving a character to a room group that has more than one location in it - Adrift will chose one randomly for you. Alternatively, you could have the characters walk around in random directions while the player is busy with something else to get a similar effect. Once you find them you can have them follow you around or start walking to the living room.
ElliotM

Re: Character hunting in a IF

Postby RenatoDias » Tue May 01, 2018 7:42 pm

ElliotM wrote:As an excuse to explore and learn the layout of the house, that isn't such a bad idea. Did you want the characters to be placed randomly? You can do that by moving a character to a room group that has more than one location in it - Adrift will chose one randomly for you. Alternatively, you could have the characters walk around in random directions while the player is busy with something else to get a similar effect. Once you find them you can have them follow you around or start walking to the living room.

That's partially the idea, because only some parts of the manor will be accessible during the day. And I'm going to use walks by turns instead of seconds, so you do something and a turn passes. Once you do the task of asking them to meet, the walks stop.
Thanks for replying, man!
RenatoDias

Return to ADRIFT 5.0