ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Timed Combat: Can it be good?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Timed Combat: Can it be good?

Postby RenatoDias » Sat May 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Hey, guys. So, I'm having an idea to implement combat into my game. I know Elliot did make a battle system, but I decided to make my own combat. The thing is that it's TIMED.
For example, you encounter a enemy in a room. A event runs with a 10/15 seconds countdown. If you don't react, I mean, use the command to use your weapon, the enemy kills you. It's similar to the Quick Time Events in many Interactive Movie games.
Which means, this is more similar to Clock Tower/NightCry battle systems, which are QTEs where you have to press a button or mash a button to escape a death situation.
Of course, this will be explained in the gameplay manual file in the game(which you'll be holding since the start).

PS: Thanks for that battle system, ElliotM.
RenatoDias

Re: Timed Combat: Can it be good?

Postby David Whyld » Sat May 05, 2018 5:49 pm

I've only ever played one text adventure with a combat system that was any good (with the rest being pretty dire), so I don't tend to have much enthusiasm for them full stop. I've never played one with timed combat so I can't say for certain what it would be like, but my gut instinct is that I wouldn't like it a whole lot. If you set the timer too high, people have all the time in the world to make their response; too low and they end up dying because they hesitated a fraction of a second too long. It also penalises slow typists and rewards fast ones. Then there's the added problem that if you lose the combat, you can UNDO a few moves and do it again and win, thereby making the combat largely pointless.
Last edited by David Whyld on Sat May 05, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Whyld

Postby RenatoDias » Sat May 05, 2018 6:30 pm

It's still an idea, so, opinions are welcome. Didn't think about penalisation. Still trying to find the best way to implement combat in a good way, other than doing a complicated battle system just for a few sections in the game, that's why I thought about this. It would be used just in a few sections, nothing too frequent.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion, David.
RenatoDias

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat May 05, 2018 8:33 pm

1: I have seen randomized combat badly damage a number of games. Unless the author really thinks things through and carefully balances things, it's very easy to ruin a game by making it too luck dependent. I can't think of too many really well-regarded games with combat systems. ToaSK is a good game, but the combat is a small part of it. Beyond Zork is a decent game. Kerkerkruip also has a good reputation (I personally never warmed up to it that much, though.)

It's weird. I love Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, but somehow the same thing in IF just gets tedious.

2: The only IF game I can think of with real-time input is Border Zone, which I never played. I don't think that the real-time aspect is supposed to have really helped or hindered that game, though.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Denk » Sat May 05, 2018 11:25 pm

I am one of the few who actually like combat in IF. But if you mix it with real time I think even fewer will like it. I personally do not like real time elements in IF, since it becomes a test of how fast you can type and read.

If you are looking for inspiration for how IF combat could work, you might take a look at the Eamon system. There are about 20 Eamon games available to play online ( https://eamon-remastered.com/ ) and you can share your character, weapons and armor between games.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby ralphmerridew » Fri May 11, 2018 1:37 am

In addition to the games I mentioned earlier, Leadlight (Eamon-derived) has a good reputation.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby rotter » Fri May 11, 2018 5:06 am

Well, from a personal point of view not keen on combat in IF full stop. If I came across timed combat in a game and my slow reading meant I kept getting killed, I would become frustrated and probably close the game never to open.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby RenatoDias » Sat May 12, 2018 12:52 am

I understand, it wouldn't be such a good idea then. Better do a battle cutscene instead.
RenatoDias

Return to ADRIFT 5.0