ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT Runner not recognizing task input

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

ADRIFT Runner not recognizing task input

Postby RenatoDias » Sat May 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Another bug, this time on the ADRIFT Runner. I have a command to start the game, a task. When I use it, the game doesn't recognize the task input. It only recognizes and start the events after I use a look or examine command.

UPDATE: Got one part working, but the event output is tripled. Will continue to explore to see what's going on.
Attachments
Creepy Night.taf
(23.48 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
RenatoDias

Re: ADRIFT Runner not recognizing task input

Postby Denk » Mon May 07, 2018 3:28 am

I notice two reasons why this isn't working:

1. The task "_S_1_Start Game" has no output (you have put "..." in angle brackets which means it will not be displayed), thus you get the message "I don't understand what you want to do with Brenda.". Just type something in the message box besides <...> or remove the angle brackets.

2. The event "_E_Intro" does not work as intented because you on the one hand have chosen to display messages every 1 second (time based) but in event control you have set the Event Type to "Turn Based". If you set it to "Time Based" instead, the event output will not be tripled anymore.

I wonder why you use a time based event to present the backstory. Wouldn't it be easier simply to include it in the message box of the task "_S_1_Start Game"?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Re: ADRIFT Runner not recognizing task input

Postby RenatoDias » Mon May 07, 2018 8:39 pm

Yeah, thanks for the heads up.
It's a common practice to use events, since for me, they are for "cutscenes" instead of using the task output itself. Also, some tasks start another chapter in the story, since this game's story is divided in two chapters.
Anyway, thanks for replying to my question, Denk.
RenatoDias

Return to ADRIFT 5.0