ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

I need help with conversations

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

I need help with conversations

Postby Haagan Daz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:00 am

I just picked up this program, learned most of the basics, adding locations, objects, characters. But conversation confuses me, the wiki doesn't help, I don't have the "sample" library. I have figured out how to start a conversation with an ask command, and how to make conversation trees, but that's it. I tried watching a YouTube video "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8b_L5hfF1M" posted on the forum, all that did was throw me further down this rabbit hole by mixing tasks in.

Can anyone explain how this stuff works? Am I missing some fundamental aspect that makes this a lot harder?

I've got this test scenario where I've been practicing, there's a damaged robot in need, and what I wanted to do is have a yes/no prompt if you are interested in helping, and if so are willing to fetch a battery for it. Upon fetching the battery you'd hand it over, and the robot would tell you another thing (a tool kit) it needed before it would be fully functioning. I figured once I could do that, anything else would be easy.

Any help would be appreciated. :Thanks:

I wasn't able to attach the scenario as the website site said it (the file) could be a possible attack vector. I'd need to email it or something to those that are interested.
As long as you don't try to eat me, we're cool.

I'm actually in California, there wasn't an option for my time zone.
Haagan Daz

Re: I need help with conversations

Postby Denk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi Haagan and welcome.

Once in a while people new to ADRIFT asks about the conversation tab / conversation trees. But as far as I know, the people most experienced with ADRIFT never uses it. Instead they utilize the the conversation tasks in the standard library (ask, tell, say). They may also add their own general tasks, e.g. TALK TO CHARACTER. Thus you probably won't get any response on how to use the conversation tab here.

So the advice is to forget about the conversation tab and start using tasks, which will give you more control of what is happening. You might have to use variables to keep track of where you are in a conversation, but you can acomplish the same behavior without the conversation tab.

About attaching files to your post, it should not be a problem if you attach taf-files.

Also, you could post an example on how you expect your game to respond, perhaps something like:

----------------------
>talk to robot
The robot says "Hi, would you like to help me?" (yes/no)

>yes
"The robot says "great, please fetch me a battery!"
----------------------

If you do that, I could make a small taf-file demonstrating how to do it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby Haagan Daz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Denk wrote:Hi Haagan and welcome.

Once in a while people new to ADRIFT asks about the conversation tab / conversation trees. But as far as I know, the people most experienced with ADRIFT never uses it. Instead they utilize the the conversation tasks in the standard library (ask, tell, say). They may also add their own general tasks, e.g. TALK TO CHARACTER. Thus you probably won't get any response on how to use the conversation tab here.

So the advice is to forget about the conversation tab and start using tasks, which will give you more control of what is happening. You might have to use variables to keep track of where you are in a conversation, but you can acomplish the same behavior without the conversation tab.

About attaching files to your post, it should not be a problem if you attach taf-files.

Also, you could post an example on how you expect your game to respond, perhaps something like:

----------------------
>talk to robot
The robot says "Hi, would you like to help me?" (yes/no)

>yes
"The robot says "great, please fetch me a battery!"
----------------------

If you do that, I could make a small taf-file demonstrating how to do it.
Thanks, yeah I'll get right on that. Your example was pretty close to my scenario. The player sees the damaged robot, asks it for help and the robot tells the player it needs a battery.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Haagan Daz

Postby Denk » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:27 am

Okay, I have now created a very simple taf-file (attached below) - not sure if it illustrates what you are trying to do.

All there is to it, is a specific task of type "ask CHARACTER about TEXT". Inside this task, I have set the character to Robot and in the restrictions, the referenced text is required to contain 'help'.

I have added another restriction that BatteryGiven=0. This is to demonstrate how you could handle an alternative message in case you have already given the battery to the robot. Currently there is no battery in the demo, so this message will never display.

Note that I have modified the three "ask about" standard library tasks slightly, so that the game accepts both of the following commands:
>ask robot about help
>ask robot for help
Otherwise it would only accept the format "ask robot ABOUT help".

If you cannot see the standard library items, it is because you should untick "hide library items" under settings. It is also recommended to untick "Simple mode" to have full access to all ADRIFT options.

If something is not clear, just ask.
Attachments
RobotTalk.taf
(14.98 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
Denk

Postby Haagan Daz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Denk wrote:Okay, I have now created a very simple taf-file (attached below) - not sure if it illustrates what you are trying to do.

All there is to it, is a specific task of type "ask CHARACTER about TEXT". Inside this task, I have set the character to Robot and in the restrictions, the referenced text is required to contain 'help'.

I have added another restriction that BatteryGiven=0. This is to demonstrate how you could handle an alternative message in case you have already given the battery to the robot. Currently there is no battery in the demo, so this message will never display.

Note that I have modified the three "ask about" standard library tasks slightly, so that the game accepts both of the following commands:
>ask robot about help
>ask robot for help
Otherwise it would only accept the format "ask robot ABOUT help".

If you cannot see the standard library items, it is because you should untick "hide library items" under settings. It is also recommended to untick "Simple mode" to have full access to all ADRIFT options.

If something is not clear, just ask.
You are a life saver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Haagan Daz

Return to ADRIFT 5.0