ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Override >get all

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Override >get all

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:34 am

Is it possible to, somehow, override the command Get all?
It seems that every dynamic object can be picked up by the player and it's very annoying.
I know that I can get around it by setting the player can carry value, and, then again, that really doesn't seem to work as it's supposed to.
I have a door and a closet in this location. by >get all, the player can pick up the door and the closet… :|
I have set the property of the door and the closet to very heavy and setting the property of the player to be able to carry maximum weight of held items to normal.
Testing the game, the player can still take the door, but not the closet… :x
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 29Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Override >get all

Postby Denk » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:17 am

It is possible to disable get all by changing the standard library, but I don't think that is a good solution. Even if you disable "get all" the player can still type "get door" and in this way pick up the door. Can't you just make the door a static object? You can still use the option "Specifically list object in location description" so that it displays the object, as if it was a dynamic object. Alternatively you can make a specific task overriding "get door". "get all" will trigger this override as well, so the door will not be picked up.

EDIT: You did not mention how many normal the player can pick up. The default setting is 10 normal, so that would explain why you could pick up 1 of the very heavy objects, since a very heavy object weighs 9 normal. Hope this makes sense.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:26 pm

I think you're right. I tried to >get closet (which is also set to very heavy) and I was able to pick it up.
Apart from that.. I changed the objects from dynamic to static and that fixed the problem.
I still don't like the >get all option, though. I can the the advantage of having it if the player needs to drop or pick up several items, but it ruins the game a little when he can just >get all when he enters a location and all the objects will be picked up.
One of the reasons I didn't like the cursor based Sierra On-Line games. All you had to do was to move the cursor over the screen and whenever there was an object, the cursor turned into an eye, or a hand, indicating that here was something of "interest"
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby saabie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:27 pm

"Get All" will only pick-up objects on the ground. It wont take anything that is inside a container, on top of a surface, held by a character or worn by a character.
The restrictions for this are in the "Take Objects (Parent Task)" - a nested block of restrictions that begin with "Referenced Objects must be exact text 'All'" so that they don't apply to objects that the player specifically names.
In most games very few objects are on the ground unless the player dropped them there themselves.
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:29 pm

P/o Prune wrote:I have a door and a closet in this location. by >get all, the player can pick up the door and the closet… :|

Why on earth have you defined these objects as dynamic ones? Doors and objects like closets should be static ones! :shock:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:24 pm

Lazzah wrote:
P/o Prune wrote:I have a door and a closet in this location. by >get all, the player can pick up the door and the closet… :|

Why on earth have you defined these objects as dynamic ones? Doors and objects like closets should be static ones! :shock:

Yes, I know... I could probably blame it on the heat... But you wouldn't buy that, would you? :wink:
I guess I thought that sionce it was an object that could be handeled in one way or the other, it should be a dynamic object... Hmmmm :|
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 5.0