ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Overflow issue after compiling EXE or Blorb

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Overflow issue after compiling EXE or Blorb

Postby ice_wanted » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi,

I'm getting a weird overflow error handling when I try to execute/run a compiled version of my latest project. I have similar error when executing a EXE or a Blorb version. Check out the attachment for the error when loading the blorb version in the runner.

When I reduce the number of images included during compiling, the blorb then load normally without error (and the game can be played). From trial and error, it looks like it's either a limit on the total size of multimedia files the compiler/decompiler can handles or a limit on the number of multimedia files the compiler/decompiler handles at run time. It seems the sweet spots for failure is a blorb/exe file size just above 2 gigs.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Hopefully this is just a sizing issue and I can compress the images to reduce the size of resulting blorb file...

Regards
Ice
Attachments
AdriftError.PNG
AdriftError.PNG (57.26 KiB) Viewed 350 times
ice_wanted

Re: Overflow issue after compiling EXE or Blorb

Postby ralphmerridew » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Blorb uses 32 bit addressing, so a 2 gb limit is quite likely.

Besides, a 2 gb download is really honkin huge!
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Re: Overflow issue after compiling EXE or Blorb

Postby ice_wanted » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:00 am

Hi,
After compressing all my multimedia files before producing the EXE or Blorb, I can confirm I no longer have the overflow error. This also confirms an upper size limit to a single Adrift game. Keep your total global size under 2gig to avoid issue.
ice_wanted

Return to ADRIFT 5.0