ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Stupid unexplained crashes.

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Stupid unexplained crashes.

Postby DannyBurnley » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Has anyone else had the problem where the developer will just suddenly take an intense disliking to something which has worked the rest of the time?

I've been plodding along adding and testing and changing and testing

it's like the 2nd time this has happened now.

So i've got a character who's worked the rest of the time, but for some stupid reason, now everytime I try on click on her character in the editor to change conversation topic, the ADRIFT developer throws up an 'unhandled exception' error.

This would be okay if it were doing it whilst running, but it is doing it when i'm trying to open her character in the editor and I don't understand why?

I'm getting

'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'

I don't know WHAT object or object reference though, so I can't go and fix it.

But it's worked the rest of the time? I don't understand it.

For reference, part of the error when I try to edit the character.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at ADRIFT.frmCharacter.LoadForm(clsCharacter& cCharacter, Boolean bShow)
at ADRIFT.frmCharacter..ctor(clsCharacter& ch, Boolean bShow)
at ADRIFT.clsCharacter.EditItem()
at ADRIFT.Folder.Edit(String sEditType, clsTask tasGeneral, String sKey)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinListView.UltraListView.OnItemDoubleClick(ItemDoubleClickEventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinListView.UltraListViewEventManager.FireEvent(UltraListViewEventIds id, EventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinListView.UltraListView.OnDoubleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I can't do anything except delete the character now :(
DannyBurnley

Re: Stupid unexplained crashes.

Postby Denk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:52 pm

Just a thought (I have never experienced such a crash myself): Is it possible for you to right-click on the character and then make a copy of the character? If so, does the new character make the developer crash as well? I was thinking that you could save your character in this way, but maybe not(?)

If you manage to reproduce the bug, you could make a bug-report ( http://www.adrift.co/cgi/adrift.cgi?page=bugs ), since this is clearly a bug in ADRIFT. Hopefully Campbell will take a look at it someday.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby DannyBurnley » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:01 pm

I can right click and copy the character, but the new character makes the developer crash as well.

Is there any sort of project change log? So i can see a history of the actions i've taken so I can trace it back?
DannyBurnley

Postby saabie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:50 am

There are a few possible ways to fix this:
1) Go back to an earlier version. ADRIFT keeps the previous version as a .BAK file, but if you have saved the faulty file more than once then this gets overwritten. (I always save with a different name every time so I have multiple copies like KittyCat45.taf, KittyCat46.taf etc.)
2) Delete that character and re-create it. This can break links elsewhere and if you have lots of conversations then it could be a lot of work.
3) Close the developer and re-open the game then immediately export it to a module. You need to be an expert with .XML files and understand how ADRIFT works internally to find the fault and fix it though.
4) Send the .taf file to me to do 3) for you.
saabie

Postby saabie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:55 am

It looks like the conversation topic "Reply Yes" was a child topic of another topic which was deleted.
When that topic was deleted, ADRIFT failed to move the child topic back to the lower level, causing an error when it tried to load the topics and could not find the topic that the <ParentKey> reference was referring to.
Last edited by saabie on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
saabie

Postby DannyBurnley » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:14 am

Thanks saabie :)

I deleted the parent topic because it wasn't fitting well with the others, i thought the child would move but i guess not. weird that it crashed the developer, i would have thought it should have come up with an error telling you at runtime about the topic

Thanks though :)
DannyBurnley

Postby Denk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:05 pm

I think this is the same bug as this one: http://www.adrift.co/bug/19164

It would be good to upvote it.
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
Denk

Postby DannyBurnley » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Upvoted and commented, thanks guys.
DannyBurnley

Return to ADRIFT 5.0