ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

How do I change object style?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

How do I change object style?

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:43 am

Is it possible to change an object type from dynamic to static, and from hidden to seen?
This is a two part question.
1: How do I change an object type from dynamic to static, or vice versa?
I think this would be useful in case the player nails something to the wall, or glue two objects together.

2: I prefer to, sometimes have my object being a part of the location description. Therefore I set the initial location to hidden, and check the property to be especially excluded from location descriptions.
How do I make it visible to the player if s/he has taken it and then drop it somewhere?
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 29Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: How do I change object style?

Postby Denk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:38 pm

P/o Prune wrote:1: How do I change an object type from dynamic to static, or vice versa?
EDIT: see Lazzah's answer below.

P/o Prune wrote:2: I prefer to, sometimes have my object being a part of the location description. Therefore I set the initial location to hidden, and check the property to be especially excluded from location descriptions.
How do I make it visible to the player if s/he has taken it and then drop it somewhere?
If the initial location is set to hidden, it isn't necessary to exclude it from location descriptions. But if you have excluded a dynamic object from location descriptions it is possible to change this with an action: "set property 'Specifically exclude object from location descriptions' of object 'whatever' to <Unselected>"

I can imagine that you want to <Unselect> this option the first time you take the object, so you could make a specific task which runs after "take 'object''" and carries out the action mentioned above. Hope that helps :)
Last edited by Denk on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby Lazzah » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:41 pm

P/o Prune wrote: Is it possible to change an object type from dynamic to static, and from hidden to seen?
This is a two part question.
1: How do I change an object type from dynamic to static, or vice versa?
I think this would be useful in case the player nails something to the wall, or glue two objects together.

There is an action SET PROPERTY 'OBJECT TYPE' OF OBJECT 'object name' TO 'DYNAMIC/STATIC' but it doesn't work, the object in question just disappears. Another of the many bugs in ADRIFT that needs to be fixed!

P/o Prune wrote:2: I prefer to, sometimes have my object being a part of the location description. Therefore I set the initial location to hidden, and check the property to be especially excluded from location descriptions.

Use the action SET 'object name' SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDE OBJECT FROM LOCATION DESCRIPTION TO UNSELECTED. This action, thankfully, works. You can then set the location of the item with another action.
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby saabie » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:46 am

P/o Prune wrote:1: How do I change an object type from dynamic to static, or vice versa?
You need to create separate objects with the static object initially hidden.
When they nail the dynamic object to the wall you move it to hidden and then move the static object to the players location.

To glue two objects together you move both of them to hidden and move a third composite object in to replace them.
saabie

Postby DannyBurnley » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:36 am

I'm probably not as well versed,

But in my program I just used the philosophy of 'fake it til you make it'
I had a door which was missing a door handle which they would have to find in another location and take and reattach and I wanted it to reattach and become PART of the door instead of going inside it, because dynamic objects cant be part of something. I didn't want the player to be able to remove it again.

So I left the door handle at 'static' and just created a few tasks handling the picking up and dropping of it to give the appearance of it being dynamic. Ofc it didn't appear when I looked at my inventory though.

When I 'picked it up' i moved the door handle to 'part of the player' in the task of pick it up, and on the tasks such as 'replace door handle on door' I moved it to be 'part of the door' and displayed a message.
DannyBurnley

Return to ADRIFT 5.0