ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Player Name Popup -- Continue Conversation Issue

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Player Name Popup -- Continue Conversation Issue

Postby DannyBurnley » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:57 pm

When I'm entering into conversation with a character called 'Dorothy', I've had the action of the 'hello' topic start a task-->event-->task which displays a pop up Input box after 4 seconds asking for the players name, which will then be used whenever anyone is speaking to the player. This works fine, the popup box is displaying, but I'm struggling with entering back into the conversation directly after typing the name.

I tried the workaround of putting a bit of conversation in the 'display message' part of the 'PlayerName' task as a workaround, but it has a big ugly gap between because of it.

So instead, in the PlayerName task I've tried the action of 'say %CharacterProper[Player]% to Dorothy' with a corresponding conversation topic with Dorothy of 'SayName' with a keyword of '%CharacterProper[Player]%' but it just results in her ignoring me. I've tried both 'Tell' and 'General command' separately and together.

Is the 'display message' in the task method my only way of doing it?
DannyBurnley

Re: Player Name Popup -- Continue Conversation Issue

Postby Denk » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:29 pm

I am not completely sure what you are trying to do, but I attach an example of how the player can type in their name without using popup.
SayMyName.taf
(15.13 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

In the attached example, you can either say hi or hello. Then the old man will ask about your name, which you can then type in.

Note that I am not utilizing the conversation tab for characters, since I feel more in control when I don't. But if you want to use the conversation tab, you could probably combine this method with the conversation tab instead of the popup.

If you are having a specific issue, perhaps you can attach a small sample-file which demonstrates the problem.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby DannyBurnley » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:55 pm

I've attached the file I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to set the %CharacterProper[Player]% to the response in the Popup input, which works. Then i'm trying to set the action 'say %CharacterProper[Player]% name (which should have by now been set to what the player said) and setting a conversation topic with the command %CharacterProper[Player]% which logically should launch as soon as the 'getname' task has finished. I'm trying to make the conversation run more smoothly with a popup box.

Maybe your way is better though!
Attachments
EXAMPLE.taf
(15.2 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
DannyBurnley

Postby Denk » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:16 pm

If you replace:

%CharacterProper[Player]%

with

Player.ProperName

In the command field of the conversation topic "SayName" and in the action of the task "GetName", it will work. See attached file.
EXAMPLE 2.taf
(15.2 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

I suppose that the reason that it does not work with %CharacterProper[Player]% is that this expression is regarded as obsolete. However, obsolete functions can still be applied in text-boxes. You can read more about obsolete functions at: http://help.adrift.co/
if you search for "obsolete functions".
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
Denk

Postby DannyBurnley » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:30 am

That's sorted it. I'll definitely consider using the in chat 'please enter your name' instead of the popup box!
DannyBurnley

Return to ADRIFT 5.0