ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Updated StandardLibrary

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Updated StandardLibrary

Postby saabie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:32 am

I have been working on an updated StandardLibrary that contains a number of fixes and enhancements that have
been proposed on the bug tracker.
Here is an example TAF file using the updated library that can be used to test if it is all working correctly:
StdLibTest.taf
Version 3
(23.05 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

This is just the library with a few rooms and objects added to start experimenting with.
Please let me know if you find any problems or have any suggestions for other things that need fixing.

Updates:
1) "x fred's tie" will examine an object called "tie" that is held or worn by fred, without having to disambiguate any other objects with the same name. (Enhancement #13953)
2) The "surface can hold" property now does something, it specifies the size of the surface and hence determines which objects can be placed there. (Bug #6624)
3) A dynamic object can now be made temporarily un-takable, as "out of reach", "held in place by parent object" or "stuck". (Enhancement #18667)
4) Reading in dark locations is now prevented. (Bug #18939)
5) "Take all" and "Put all" no longer get confused by objects on and in other objects (It would try to take the same object twice and give a failure message). (Bug #18875)
6) If a character is hiding in a closed container you will now see them when you open it. This only seems to work for characters you have never seen before. (Bug #18818)
7) "Inventory" will now list closed boxes as closed instead of claiming that they are empty when they may not be. (Bug #18817)
9) Fixed E should be East not Examine. The autofill was making it difficult to move east.
10) If you are already sitting gon one chair and try to sit on another, you now get a message that you got up from the first chair. (Enhancement #1477)
11) Exiting a container fails. MoveOutObject and MoveOffObject were conflicting with each other. Made one a specific override of the other. (Bug #18959)
12) Exit and Out can now be used interchangeably. If you are on or in an object they will move you out of it, else they will be taken as a direction to move.
13) Moving in a direction while on or in an object now works. (Bug #19147)
14) Restrictions like: "You can't take the pen and the mower" now say "You can't take the pen or the mower" (Bug #5618)
15) "Stand up" when sitting on a chair now stands you on the ground. A new object property allows you to return to the previous "stand on object" behavior for chosen objects. (Bug #19114)
16) You can now put a non-removable object inside a container (ie. a shelf) It can be changed to removable during play (ie. screws undone) (Enhancements #763 #4639)
17) "Examine character" now mentions if they are sitting, standing or laying on or inside of an object.
If an object is opened that has a character inside we now mention them instead of just the objects inside. (Bug #3277)
18) The group "Previous Location” tracks where the player came from so that the description of a room can be altered depending on which door it was entered by. Also allows an on-entering-location task to only run if player entered by a particular door. (Bug #10006)
19) There is now a response to "take character": "%character% wont let you pick him/her up", which can be overridden with a specific tasks for characters you should be able to pick-up. (Enhancement #18466)
20) 2 new tasks Take Objects From Character (Lazy) and Take Objects From Character
respond that they stop you, but can be overridden for specific objects or characters. (Bugs #18419 #18561 #18799)
21) "ask about topic" now works when alone with 1 NPC (Bug #18886 #19071)
22) Put and drop should now work with a worn object even if the player has changed to a different point-of-view character (Bug #18982)
23) Fixed "Put all in object" so it no longer complains about all of the objects you don't have (Bug #18988)
24) Fixed typo for "Put Objects On Object" in restriction that Object must have a surface (Bug #19131)
25) Fixed player movement restriction that said "There is no route to the east. Only north and east" so it only lists usable exits. (Bug #19161)
26) Fixed Runner freeze when taking a dynamic object which the player is on. Player is moved off the object first. (Bug #19172)
27) Automatically unlock doors if the key is carried. This has been made an OPTION as not everyone wants it. Enable by ticking property of "Player" character. (Enhancement #18623)
28) Unlocking an object also automatically opens it. A property has been added to "Player" to return to the former behaviour.
29) Locking an object automatically closes it first if it is open. A property has been added to "Player" to return to former behaviour.

The updates are being made at https://github.com/saabie/ADRIFT-5/blob ... ibrary.amf

If you want to try out the new version in one of your existing games then you will need to create a new windows
logon on your computer and only change the ADRIFT library settings to the new library when logged on as that
test user. Don't forget to make a COPY of the game to experiment on!
To download the new StandardLibrary from GIT: go to https://raw.githubusercontent.com/saabi ... ibrary.amf and do a File/Save page as..
Ignore the error about it being for the wrong software version (it was forked from Campbells development of v36)
Save it to a different location from where you keep your original StandardLibrary.
Last edited by saabie on Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
saabie

Re: Updated StandardLibrary

Postby Lumin » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:22 pm

Nice, you've done a lot here.

How's progress been going on that new version of the runner you were working on awhile back? Although I figure you've been pretty busy with your game.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:59 pm

:thanks: :bravo:
:Thanks:
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Great work saabie! :welldone: Well done! :Thanks: for the hard work.
DazaKiwi

Postby saabie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:27 am

Lumin wrote:How's progress been going on that new version of the runner you were working on awhile back?
It is going very well. I wanted to have something for this years competition, and can't release my main game without the new runner so I took time off to write a new game, but then that needed some of the modules from my other game, which needed updates to the standard library to work...
I will be back working on the new runner on the 1st of October and hope to have a beta release soon.
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:34 am

Nice one saabie! :claps: :yeah: :D :Thanks: :bravo:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby Lazzah » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi saabie,

Is there any chance you can fix bug #18967 where the exit arrows are missing from the game map if you have defined a false exit in certain directions? This bug can lead to problems for the player if they don't know there is actually an exit in that direction.

A similar arrow bug is # 19120. If you have an exit going to a location on another page of the map, that exit arrow is also missing from both pages of the map.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby saabie » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:49 am

Those are runner problems so they wont occur in my new runner.
saabie

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:36 am

This is probably just me.
Can anyone provide a step by step guide on how to implement this masterpiece? (Please??)
So far I have copy/pasted the thing into a word document and saved is StandardLibrary.amf on my desktop...
Now what?
I guess what I'm trying to say is:
Do I just add it to the StandardLibrary already existing, or is the default Library already included in this "mod" so I have to replace it with the new one?? :?
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:10 am

saabie wrote:Those are runner problems so they wont occur in my new runner.

OK, understood. How about giving us back the minimise and maximise buttons on dialog boxes instead of, or in addition to, the help button that Campbell replaced it with?

Also, how about enhancement #6522 new action SWAP object1 with Object2 - now that would REALLY be useful!

:Thanks:
Lazzah

Postby saabie » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:30 am

@P/o Prune: The file on GIT is the complete StandardLibrary so you would use it instead of the current one as the library for a new game.
As I said above, these are extensive changes and have not been thoroughly tested yet so I would not install it as your default library yet as it will load itself into every game you open in the developer.
If you want to help testing it then either use the TAF file I provided or else make a COPY of the file you want to test it with and create a new user login on your computer to use with the new library (as that is the only way ADRIFT lets you use different libraries with different files at the moment).
@Lazzah: I will look at all these other enhancements later, but at the moment I am only fixing problems with the standard library.
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:31 am

saabie wrote:If you want to help testing it then either use the TAF file I provided.

saabie, can we use this taf file with our current ADRIFT set-up or do we have to create a new windows log-in and all that?
Lazzah

Postby saabie » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:19 pm

The TAF file should work fine as is. It contains a StandardLibrary with a later date than the one currently on your system so even if you have it enabled in Settings/Libraries it will be ignored.
If you have any other libraries like the money system or the time system enabled, then those will be imported into the TAF when you open it in the developer.
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi saabie,

I wanted to test the new ability to pick up characters, i.e. such as the parrot Polly in your demo, but find myself unable to. Should there not be a new restriction CHARACTER "charactername" MUST/MUST NOT BE HELD BY "charactername" and a similar action MOVE "charactername" TO BE HELD BY "charactername" for use with this? Otherwise it cannot be executed.
Lazzah

Postby saabie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:28 am

Good catch. I think I must have been half asleep when I did the "Taking Characters" task, it needed several fixes.
I have uploaded a fixed version StdLibTest.taf to the first post above, and fixed the StandardLibrary on GitHub.
saabie

Next

Return to ADRIFT 5.0