ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Turn instead of Exits

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Turn instead of Exits

Postby NigeC » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:20 am

Its been awhile!
I'm currently doing an "Escape The Room" type game and I was wondering if I can change "Exits" to "Turn" as the character is in a small cell and can't do anything but turn and examine.
NigeC

Re: Turn instead of Exits

Postby Denk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Not exactly sure if I understand you correctly. If there are no exits, the exits will not be displayed. You can then type anything you want within the location description, e.g. "You can TURN."

If this does not answer your question, perhaps you could write a small "transcript" to explain how you would like ADRIFT to behave.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Re: Turn instead of Exits

Postby Lazzah » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:53 am

NigeC wrote:Its been awhile!
I'm currently doing an "Escape The Room" type game and I was wondering if I can change "Exits" to "Turn" as the character is in a small cell and can't do anything but turn and examine.

Hi NigeC,

Welcome back to the forum.

What you describe above can probably be implemented in a few ways, but I would do it using variables to signify what direction you are facing (i.e. Front, Back, Left or Right) and general tasks for TURN LEFT, TURN RIGHT and TURN AROUND. The location text will have alternative texts depending on which way you are facing.

I have knocked up a little demo to avoid going into long explanations as attached.

I hope it helps, any questions just ask.

Prison Cell.taf
(15.6 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest & Revenge of the Space Pirates.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt - The Spectre of Castle Coris - The Fortress of Fear - Die Feuerfaust - The Lost Children - Run, Bronwynn, Run!"
Lazzah

Return to ADRIFT 5.0