ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Putting these things online

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: Putting these things online

Postby The0didactus » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:01 am

Some metrics to put this in perspective:

* Offhand I know three people, real life, who will not play my games because of the virus issue. There are also countless people IRL that I REALLY want to share my games with, but who lack the technical competence to play them (or who lack windows machines): My parents, for example.

* Upon releasing Six Silver Bullets for IFCOMP, I received five emails in the first day, basically saying "hey I wanna play this but I can't."
For every person who wrote, there had to be several that didn't. That's tons of players a day.

* I promote my games on a few other sites I'm fond of, including Slatestarcodex and some legal forums. I still get messages from people asking "hey, I saw this game you were talking about called Tingalan, how do I play it? I can't get Adrift to work on my computer"...again I must stress that these are complete outsiders to the IF community writing me about a game I made, and promoted, several years ago. They want to play. They can't.

All these people are folks that would get into our IF if we could more easily share our games...and I'm just one guy.
The0didactus

Postby The0didactus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 am

So it's been more than 6 months and we're still nowhere on this.
I've made 2 attempts in the past few weeks to get an online runner working via some files and instructions I received from Daza, that I think he ultimately received from Campbell...neither worked, but that's probably because I have no earthly idea how to do this. I might make another attempt this weekend, but the odds are not good.

I'm already dreading the emails I'll get in the first few days of the comp saying the game is "broken" because it's not playable on a mac, or because their computer thinks its a virus. Can anyone think of a solution here?
The0didactus

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 am

What can I say?
I have been pestering Campbell with messages, mails etc. I have pasted / copied your post, and sent it to him.
Trust me, I'm as desperate as you are.
My next move will be to travel to Scotland, put a sign on his door saying "Secret CIA headquarter" and then notify ISIS. Maybe that will wake him up. :whistle:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 60Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby The0didactus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Yeah it's probably a lost cause at this point.

For what it's worth I'm issuing a challenge, which will sorta have to be on the honor system: I will give $100 of my prize money this year (or the whole amount, if I win less than $100, last year I won $70) to any single person (campbell included) who can assure online play through the whole comp.
The0didactus

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 5.0