ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Make games with no typing required

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Make games with no typing required

Postby gared1 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Hello,

I've been looking for and trying out various interactive fiction designers.

I like ADRIFT so far, but I'm wondering if I can make a game that does not require a player to type, but instead click on links, buttons or options that are listed on the screen?

I have found other creators that allow or focus on this, but most require complicated coding, or have poor instructions and are hard to understand.

Thanks for any help.
gared1

Re: Make games with no typing required

Postby Denk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:52 am

Hi Gared1 and welcome!

In ADRIFT you can have a dropdown menu with single-word commands (Inventory, Look, North, South etc.) when you right-click somewhere in the runner window.

In addition, objects can be highlighted and when you click on them, you get a menu with some actions you can take with that object.

In this manner, the player does not need to type at all.

I attach an image. In this image I have clicked the word "mine" and is then given the options: "examine mine" and "enter mine".
I also attach a taf-file which you can run to see if this is something for you.

If it is, I can explain in more detail how to do it.
example.png
example.png (38.8 KiB) Viewed 713 times

Hyperlink demo.taf
(72.23 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:33 am

Thanks for the demo that was interesting to look at. I have looked at hyperlinks in the past and couldn't understand how it worked properly back then, nor why custom commands created doesn't show in the right click menu when you click on the blank area in runner (is this possible some how?) Thankfully you can remove unwanted default commands in that right click menu (click in empty space) by setting Priority to 0.

I am just having a play around with it again after looking at your demo. And tried something similar with having a cave object, it was trial and error and more looking at what you had to work out it seems you have to have two tasks set up to make this work properly: 1# a custom general task such as Enter cave - enter %object% (no restriction needed unless you have other similar objects i guess). 2# create a specific task to override 'Go inside object' and restriction reference the object 'cave', without both you will not get the right-click menu when r-clicking the word cave. Also i found if your object that you want to have hyperlink for must be one word if its two words it wont get a hyperlink!

So would it be possible to do CYOA style line hyperlink choices? where i guess you would need to create objects as the choices? I will have a go at this later.
DazaKiwi

Postby The0didactus » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:47 pm

The game I'm working on now is CYOA style and all interactions are just: "1", "2", "3" and so on.

While not clicking, it could easily be clicking using the demonstration above.
The0didactus

Postby gared1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks guys. This has given me an idea of what is available.

Mainly I wanted to make a CYOA style game, that can be run on a phone browser, and the player can just click hyperlinks to proceed.

Unfortunately, it seems the function offered here won't work for that. The right clicking is not really a thing on phones, and then something has to be chosen from the menu that appears. Entering a 1, 2, 3 or 4 is actually easier in this case I think.

But I was not aware of this function at all, and I can see where it will be handy. Thanks for the help.
gared1

Postby Denk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Nice idea to use it for CYOA style games, DazaKiwi. I am sure it is possible.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:37 am

Ok i have done some more experimenting and have come up with a CYOA system that reuses the same objects you interact with for making choices, Choose One, Choose Two and Choose Three. I will upload my demo, which i borrowed ideas from Denk where the parent custom task is named Menu - something etc.

I had one case where there are several choices within the same location using specific task must be complete or not complete in order to get them to show when they should, which is a little more work. But i think for having one set of choices per location this method works well and could be less work than the typical method?

I tried to do something for going east etc, but didn't seem to work, but at least by default directions are highlighted and you can click on the button to far right called Submit. I will experiment with conversations another day. I did see Denks demo has that covered so will see how it works. Anyway i wrote up some methods used in my demo in Read Me, hope it is easy to understand and might be helpful to others.
Attachments
Highlight_Demo_v3.taf
An example CYOA hyperlinking
(21.66 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Last edited by DazaKiwi on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DazaKiwi

Postby Denk » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:58 am

Nice demo DazaKiwi. I just added a folder to the taf-file, where I define 4 objects: North, south, east, west. I then added a "menu-task" which will never run but it has the functionality that when you click on a direction, you will get e.g. "go to the east" as an option. This functionality can easily be expanded to include NorthEast, SouthWest etc & In, out & up, down but for now I just wanted it to work for the four cardinal directions.
Highlight_demo_v4.taf
Cardinal directions can be clicked on too
(21.91 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

When adding this, I recalled that for "Menu-tasks" to work with restrictions, %objects% (plural) are required in the command field. If you only use %object% and add restrictions the task will not be an option in the dropdown-menus. Using restrictions one can be in complete control of when options are present when clicking on an object. For instance "open the door" should not be an option if a door is already open.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:44 pm

Thanks for the update to the demo Denk. So when creating custom commands to show in the drop-down menu you don't need a specific task only but when you want text output and some variation of restrictions other than your custom parent task? like my cyoa system.
DazaKiwi

Postby Denk » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 am

DazaKiwi wrote:Thanks for the update to the demo Denk. So when creating custom commands to show in the drop-down menu you don't need a specific task only but when you want text output and some variation of restrictions other than your custom parent task? like my cyoa system.

For the purpose of creating custom commands to show in the drop-down menu, I would never use a specific task. Instead, I would create a general task, which will never run, since its command is already covered by another general task. It is only there to provide the custom command in the drop-down menu. Hope this makes sense.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby DazaKiwi » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:59 pm

Yes i understand. Initially i had thought you had needed the specific task as well when i first had a look at your demo. So i was just clarifying for the sake of this thread and to be 100% sure.
I will have a go at making a full hyperlink CYOA with some parser use as well in the near future, i think it might actually be quicker to make than the typical CYOA method used but time will tell.
DazaKiwi

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:08 pm

Today i have been doing some experiments within your demo Denk. Having a go with conversations. I started off with the Menu talk to Character you have already there in the demo. i couldn't get that to work, it doesnt show. Only 'Examine character' shows in the pop-up but not sure why Talk to character' wont even show in the popup. I had also tried adding a property for character (Character can Talk) to see if that would help, but no dice. I tried creating other tasks related to character actions as well and nothing. If i can get this working, i have an idea how i might get the built in conversation working. But at this stage im stuck, the only think i can think of, examine character works because its a built in command?

Any ideas how to make this work?

Also i noticed you sometimes use <> an example you have ... put sword<> in<> scabbard and also in your info task with general text. Why do you have <> ?
DazaKiwi

Postby Denk » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:34 pm

The "Talk to character" menu-command works in the original version of the demo, see picture below.
Talk2character.png
Talk2character.png (23.92 KiB) Viewed 517 times

However, the task "MENU - talk to character" must not have any restrictions. perhaps you added restrictions by accident?

The reason I use <> in front of some words is to avoid them being highlighted. For instance a sentence like: "In the old days..." I wouldn't want the word "in" to be underlined just because it is a direction.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby DazaKiwi » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:20 am

Thanks for your reply Denk and help. Yeah i had added more restrictions :whistle: I have now removed the restrictions and now it works. Why would adding other more specific restrictions cause it to be ignored? although adding 'Player must be a location x' is fine though like with your attack troll with ring task.

Ok so parent menu tasks ought to have no restrictions or little as possible and if i want to have more specific restrictions i would use a specific task. Ok I think i have a better grasp of it now :) I didn't play your demo all the way through, as soon as i saw how hyperlinking works i want to experiment and learn.

Also the info about <> was very handy especially for the Choice one, Choice two method i used before, now i know what to do if i use one or two by themselves in sentences- nice.
DazaKiwi

Postby Denk » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:10 am

DazaKiwi wrote:Why would adding other more specific restrictions cause it to be ignored?
All that I know about this subject I found out by trial and error. When the command refers to %objects% I can apply all relevant restrictions. But when dealing with characters it seems that I cannot add all types of restrictions. For instance, if I require that referenced character is the troll, the option will not show up when clicking at "troll". So it seems that we have less control when dealing with characters than when dealing with objects.

DazaKiwi wrote:Ok so parent menu tasks ought to have no restrictions or little as possible and if i want to have more specific restrictions i would use a specific task.
Just to avoid any misunderstandings on how I look at this, I will clarify:
1. I distinguish between ordinary tasks (which can be either general, specific or system tasks) and then what I call MENU-tasks (always general task) which never runs but will ensure that you get the right options in the dropdown-menus.
2. First I would create a good parser. I do this by using specific tasks whenever possible. New commands are introduced with general tasks to take care of standard response, but specific tasks should take care of all specific actions, e.g. puzzle solving etc.
3. Once I have made all ordinary tasks so I have a good parser, I add the MENU-tasks which does not affect gameplay since they never run. They are only there to provide the right options in the dropdown-menu. They may have restrictions. However, it seems that "%character% MENU-tasks" cannot have as many restrictions as "%objects% MENU-tasks" for some reason.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Next

Return to ADRIFT 5.0