ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

You can't see "Object"

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

You can't see "Object"

Postby P/o Prune » Fri May 24, 2019 6:38 am

This may have been approached before but I can't seem to find it anywhere, so I give it a go.

I Know that you can change the "You can see the %Object% by overriding the default text.
But is it possible to have several radomized replies so the player won't see the same reply constantly.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 54Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: You can't see "Object"

Postby DazaKiwi » Fri May 24, 2019 8:02 am

You mean like?
adrift Code: Select all
<#oneOf("something","something else","another thing")#>
DazaKiwi

Postby P/o Prune » Fri May 24, 2019 8:19 am

DazaKiwi wrote:You mean like?
<#oneOf("something","something else","another thing")#>

Wow! that made my head spin :?

Let's say you have a location description with a lot of objects (scenery/atmosphere) but you haven't created the objects (Too much work having to describe objects that are not necessary anyway.)
When the player starts examining the various objects s/he'll get the default response: "you see no such thing. (or whatever)"
Having seen this for a while s/he'll get irritated (I know I will)
So my thought is that since it's possible to use text override (changing "You see no such thing." to something else… Would it also be possible to have multiple responses to the "You see no such thing" and have them come up randomly.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 am

P/o Prune wrote:Would it also be possible to have multiple responses to the "You see no such thing" and have them come up randomly.
Yes, DazaKiwi's proposal does just that.
If you don't know how to use that technique, take a look at the screenshot below:
RandomResponse.png
RandomResponse.png (9.23 KiB) Viewed 402 times

So you should make a text override for "You see no such thing."

And in Replacement text you paste the following code:
<#oneOf(
"You can't see that.",
"That is not important.",
"That is just scenery."
)#>

This code picks one of the three lines randomly.

You can change the texts between quotation marks if you like and you can also add more lines (just remember a comma after each line, except the last line).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby DazaKiwi » Fri May 24, 2019 10:18 am

That's a good idea to use that with text override Denk, i didn't think of that. I rarely use text override.

Yeah being able to randomly select lines like that is really handy to make a scene/character description feel a little more alive rather than reading the same exact description, I suggest just copy that expression line of code and paste into a word-pad document for future use where you can find it easily and when you need it, just copy and paste it to a description to mix up variation and just change the words/lines in between the quotes and as Denk said you can add more. I sometimes have " " if i want a chance for nothing to be chosen too.
DazaKiwi

Postby P/o Prune » Fri May 24, 2019 12:00 pm

Works like a charm.
Thanks a million :D
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat May 25, 2019 12:27 am

Minor problem with Denk's second and third lines. "That's not important." and "That is just scenery" imply that the command was understood, but the object wasn't important.

So if the player typos an object name and gets one of those responses, the player might stop trying to interact with that object.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Denk » Sun May 26, 2019 9:32 am

P/o Prune, Ralphmerridew is right. You better change the text of those two lines to something which has the same meaning as "You see no such thing."

E.g. "That it just scenery" is more fitting as replacement text to e.g. "You see nothing special about the grass."
To do that, you need to create the objects but you don't have to give them a description other than "That is just scenery." or something similar.
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Sun May 26, 2019 3:44 pm

Denk wrote:P/o Prune, Ralphmerridew is right. You better change the text of those two lines to something which has the same meaning as "You see no such thing."

E.g. "That it just scenery" is more fitting as replacement text to e.g. "You see nothing special about the grass."
To do that, you need to create the objects but you don't have to give them a description other than "That is just scenery." or something similar.

Thanks. I've already done that. :wink:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 5.0