ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT 5 newcomer advice

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Updating a game on the ADRIFT site

Postby Denk » Tue May 12, 2020 2:40 pm

You might have tried to upload a game to the ADRIFT site and then later you find that there are some bugs in it, so you want to replace the uploaded game with a newer version. This can be done in two ways but I think most will prefer the latter:

1. Delete the uploaded game and upload the new version as it was a new game. The disadvantages of this method are many: The number of downloads and online plays will be reset to zero and links from e.g. IFDB will have to be updated to point at this "new" game.

2. Replace the game file directly so that everything except the game file stays the same.

I think most people want option 2 but it may not be obvious how to do that. In both cases, you must be logged in, then go to the GAMES section on the ADRIFT site. Just above the first listed game, there is a link called "Upload an adventure". Then you must navigate to your game-file and upload it to the site.

Unfortunately, you don't get to choose between the two options mentioned above. Instead the ADRIFT site will determine whether the game is a new game or an existing game:

If the game has the same IFID as an existing game, the existing game will be replaced. If not, the game will be regarded as a new game.

Unfortunately, you cannot choose the IFID of your game. Whenever you start writing a new game, ADRIFT 5 will randomly choose an IFID for you. There are so many possibilities that no game will ever have the same IFID. As long as you click SAVE in the Developer to save your game, the IFID will remain unchanged. But if at some point you choose SAVE AS in the Developer to save your game under a different name, the IFID will be changed by ADRIFT. This is rather unpractical since you might just want to save your game with a new version number, e.g "mygameVersion2.taf".

So if you already have uploaded your game to the ADRIFT site and you want to fix some bugs and replace the first uploaded file, you should not use SAVE AS within the Developer to change the file you are working on, since this will change the IFID.

Instead, you should copy the file in Windows and paste it to an appropriate location. The two files will then have the same IFID. After you have done that, you can rename the file to what you like. Now you can work on the file knowing that it has the right IFID and that it will be replacing the existing file when you upload it to the ADRIFT site.

EDIT: However, if you for some reason want to update a game with a file, which has a different IFID, there is a way, as explained by Lazzah in the following post.

A final note: When you replace a game-file with the same IFID, make sure that the new game-file has a different name than the previous version, e.g. "mygameV2.taf". If they have exactly the same file name and IFID, I have experienced that the ADRIFT site keeps the old file instead of the new one, even though I am told the file was replaced! So I recommend to always use a new file name.

Table of Contents can be found here: http://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12082
Last edited by Denk on Tue May 12, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Re: ADRIFT 5 newcomer advice

Postby Lazzah » Tue May 12, 2020 5:16 pm

When I tried to upload a new version of my game Die Feuerfaust, I found that instead of it replacing the current version on the ADRIFT site, it uploaded as a new game as it had a different IFID number to the existing game. As you said, you cannot change the IFID number of your game, but you CAN change the IFID number of a game already on the ADRIFT site. So I deleted the newly uploaded game and changed the IFID number of the existing version of Die Feuerfaust to that of the game that I was trying to replace it with. Bingo! When I uploaded the new version it replaced the old version and I learned something new!
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: ADRIFT 5 newcomer advice

Postby Denk » Tue May 12, 2020 10:26 pm

Wow, I didn't know that! Great, then it is always possible to replace the file, even if it the files have different IFIDs. :bravo:

Table of Contents can be found here: http://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12082
Last edited by Denk on Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Fix problems when objects and characters have the same name

Postby Denk » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:01 am

When objects and characters for some reason have the same name (e.g. Mr. Ladder and a ladder), there will be problems. The most important is probably when examining those objects.

Example (Mr. Ladder and a ladder):
Because the standard library task "Examine %objects%" has higher priority (thus lower priority number) than the task "Examine %character%", the standard library will always think that you want to examine the ladder if you type EXAMINE LADDER. Thus if you are in the same room as Mr. Ladder and the ladder is not in the location, you will be told that you cannot see the ladder if you try to EXAMINE LADDER. If you swap the priorities you will not be able to examine the ladder object.

There is a solution to this problem:
Make a general task with the command field identical to the "EXAMINE %character%"-task but with much higher priority (thus low priority number). It should not display any message. It should only have one restriction:
[Referenced Character][must][be same loc as character][The Player Character]
and there should be no restriction message.

It also has only one task:
[Run Task][Examine characters] (parameter is %character%)

Thus in the special case that you are in the same location as Mr. Ladder, EXAMINE LADDER means you want to examine Mr. Ladder and not the ladder.

This technique is demonstrated in the attached file below:
Obj_to_character V4.taf
(15.29 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

The Bash Saga:
Denk

Task Execution Logic

Postby Denk » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:20 pm

temp.png
temp.png (9.92 KiB) Viewed 535 times

Under Options->Advanced you can change the Task Execution Logic. However, this is normally NOT recommended.

Here is a quote from the ADRIFT Wiki ( http://wiki.adrift.co/Options#Advanced_Tab ):
Task execution logic
ADRIFT 4 uses slightly different logic than ADRIFT 5 when choosing which tasks to execute. This option will be automatically set depending on whether this game is a converted ADRIFT 4 game or a new ADRIFT 5 game. Do not change this for ADRIFT 5 games as the standard library will not work properly.

So unless you started your game in ADRIFT 4 and at some point converted it to ADRIFT 5 (and I am not even sure whether it is a good idea then), it is recommended to use the default setting "Execute the highest priority task matching command input, whether it passes or not.".

If you have a problem which can be fixed by changing the Task Execution Logic, it can most likely be fixed in other ways too. If you change the Task Execution Logic to the unrecommended setting, your game can probably still be completed with your macros since the macros contain the "right" commands, whereas the right Restriction Messages may not be displayed.

So I can only recommend sticking to the recommended setting.

The Bash Saga:
Denk

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 5.0