ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Folders with a mind of their own

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Folders with a mind of their own

Postby David Whyld » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:02 am

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I've been arranging the folders for various locations into groups under folder view to keep them organised, but for some reason every time I open up ADRIFT, a couple of the folders have moved. It’s the same two every time. No matter how many times I drag and drop them to where they need to go, they've moved the next time I open ADRIFT. Is this a bug? Is there an option I can select to stop it happening?

Is there also any way to keep the folders in alphabetical order? I've dragged and dropped them into alphabetical order quite a few times but when I start up ADRIFT, they've reverted back to their old place again.
David Whyld

Re: Folders with a mind of their own

Postby Denk » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:48 am

Though I haven't experienced exactly what you describe here, ADRIFT 5 isn't as stable as one could wish for when it comes to Cut and Paste / Drag and Drop folders and files. Thus I always save my game under a new name when I am about to do some serious rearranging of my folders and files. Anyway, it is recommended to save under a new file name once in a while just in case, so you have a backup if something goes wrong.

I found that ADRIFT 5 is especially sensitive when it comes to cut and paste locations. Thus I always cut and paste one location at a time. I am also careful when I move larger chunks of items around, to double-check that things end up as expected.

Now some good news. You can easily sort the contents of a folder alphabetically. Let's take the Location folder as an example: Looking at the top of the folder it says "Locations". Just beneath that, it says "Name" and beneath that are all the files and folders. Click on "Name" and all the files and folders are displayed alphabetically. Click on "Name" again, you get them in reverse order.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby David Whyld » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:02 pm

I've had a re-jig of the folders pane and put all the locations under the 'location' tab, which seems to have fixed the problem for now. Before I just had them on the folders pane itself which must be what caused the issues.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an option to sort things in the folders pane into alphabetical order. I suppose I could move everything again, but as I've managed to get things working now, I think I'm better off leaving things as they are.
David Whyld

Postby DazaKiwi » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:02 pm

Locations in my experience seem to be very tricky when moving, importing or copying them to another folder. I generally leave them all in the default folder. I tried to copy locations in the past and find it can do weird things, where it seems Adrift gets confused with the original location and copied one. Its a shame really because copying groups of locations would save a lot of time for larger projects.

Also for folder management in general, if you like to have my tasks in a folder in a specific order eg. execute order and if accidentally click on 'Name' at the very top of the folder window and it forces all of the tasks into alphabetical order. Which you cannot undo. To fix this, create a new folder and move all the tasks etc into the new folder and delete the old custom one.

Another thing that can happen from time to time is when creating a new task or property and afterwards it moves itself back to the parent folder of what it is, rather than the folder you right-clicked to create it. It doesn't happen often but can be annoying.
DazaKiwi

Postby David Whyld » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:09 pm

DazaKiwi wrote:Another thing that can happen from time to time is when creating a new task or property and afterwards it moves itself back to the parent folder of what it is, rather than the folder you right-clicked to create it. It doesn't happen often but can be annoying.

I've had that happen to me plenty of times and it's a pain. The first few times it happened, I figured I'd clicked the wrong thing but after testing it some more I've found it happens quite often, though not all the time. It seems to be pretty random. I'll usually only notice when I go looking for the task, find it's not where it should be and then have to go searching for it. I'm beginning to warm to v5 a little but things like this aren't helping much.
David Whyld

Return to ADRIFT 5.0