ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Time Elapsed

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Time Elapsed

Postby Lazzah » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi all,

Sitting here waiting for the estate agent to arrive (we are trying to sell our house) I have been working on my latest WIP and have just completed a message that tells the PC that something will happen in about 5 minutes. That set me thinking if there is any rule (or whatever) about how long a "turn" is in IF games? 1 minute, 3 minutes, or is it so many seconds, e.g. 30 seconds, 45 seconds, etc. BTW, I know I can actually program an event to run for 300 seconds (5 minutes) but 5 minutes of real time seems an awfully long time in this context...ITSWIM!

Any help much appreciated.
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch
ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run!

COMING SOON: Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest & Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: Time Elapsed

Postby saabie » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:59 am

1 turn = 1 minute seems to be a generally accepted standard for most games.
Multiple actions that takes less than a minute (like picking up a key and using it to unlock and open a door) could be 1 turn, while anything that takes longer should count as multiple turns.
Anything that is just a convenience for the player like "Inventory" and "look" should take 0 turns (because the player can do the same thing by scrolling back up the transcript anyway).
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:43 am

Thanks saabie,

There won't be enough moves if 1 minute = 1 turn! I said in the message that the PC has 5 minutes. I was going to give the player 25 moves to do what s/he has to do before unleashing the trolls on them. I will have to change the message to something like "I don't know how long we can hold them in for so you'd better hurry up!"

:Thanks:
ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run!

Lazzah

Postby ralphmerridew » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:53 pm

I'd say, don't sweat it. While I tend to think of one turn being one minute by default, I view that as being a rigid rule. If a long event gets abbreviated into a one-turn cutscene, that's fine. If the player character starts rushing when time is of the essence, then I can accept that a turn can be less than a minute.

Maybe this: After five turns, have a message like "The sounds of fighting suddenly grow louder. They must have reached your outer barricade." or whatever would be natural in your game. Acknowledge that time is passing.

Incidentally, have you tried doing what the protagonist is supposed to do during that event sequence? Is five minutes a reasonable estimate for the time it would take?
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Lazzah » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:45 am

Thanks for answers, chaps!

I compromised by just telling the player that the defenders wouldn't be able to hold the trolls for long. I then played through the moves the PC had to make too get out and added 10. My playtesters always complain that I don't allow enough moves but I think I am more than generous! :haha:

Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:09 am

I usually just go with 1 minute = 1 turn because that's what someone said years ago and it seemed to stick. But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense when I think about it. It doesn't take a minute to pick up an item or walk from one room to the next, but at the same time I can't cook a meal or read a book in a minute.
David Whyld

Return to ADRIFT 5.0