ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Conversations and Asks

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Conversations and Asks

Postby ZyriBlackwood » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:11 am

I'm not quite sure how the whole conversation thing goes. I've learned how to do intro, and farewells. but .. as for getting the player to ask questions and getting answers.. I'm not quite sure. along with the rest of how the whole conversation thing works. The help section doesn't really do much with questions just tells me how to work an intro to conversation. The rest is... unknown to me and can't really find a guide with more on the topic. some assistance would be nice.
ZyriBlackwood

Re: Conversations and Asks

Postby Denk » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:35 pm

First I want to say that many ADRIFT users prefer to utilize the conversation tasks in the standard library but not the conversation tab for characters. You can certainly get a lot of things done using the conversation tabs and perhaps it is faster to learn than using tasks. However, using tasks seems to be more flexible, which is why many of us prefer using tasks instead of the conversation tab.

The conversation tabs support conversation of the ASK/TELL/SAY type. If you want to extend it with e.g. "TALK TO JOHN" or commands like "JOHN, GO WEST" you will need to use tasks for such behaviour.

Since you mentioned intros and farewells, I suppose you prefer using the conversation tabs. So it sounds like you need help with ASK, TELL and SAY.

I attach a small demo:
ConversationTabDemo.taf
(15.05 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

The conversation tree for John looks like this:
ConversationTree.png
ConversationTree.png (13.5 KiB) Viewed 587 times

Note that I have numbered most of the topics so I can control the order they appear, since they are listed alphabetically. So topics 1,2,3,4 and 5 are all in the root. However, if you ASK JOHN ABOUT FLOWERS, He will ask you a question and the game now expects you to SAY YES or SAY NO. If you say something else, he will not understand and the conversation is taken to the root again, ready for the 5 root topics.

Note that there is a small bug in the standard library: The task "Ask about (lazy)" doesn't work, because it's priority number is too high (which means that the priority is too low!). In the attached demo the priority is set to 50048. If you lower it to e.g. 5048 the "Ask about (lazy)"-task will work, which means that you do not need to type ASK JOHN ABOUT FLOWERS. It will then be sufficient to type ASK ABOUT FLOWERS (unless there are two or more characters in the same room as the player).

Note that ASK and TELL use keywords(!). You can thus have multiple keywords, separated by commas, e.g.: FLOWERS,PLANTS

SAY is different. Here you must type a command similar to general tasks (You should not include the word SAY in the command), e.g.: [hello/hi]

In addition to all this, you can add restrictions and actions to each topics.

Just ask if something is not clear.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby ZyriBlackwood » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:10 am

So... what exactly does the Task in this demo do?

also, do all conversation lines have to be yes/no ? am i able to change respones ?

it seems i don't actionns unless i want these conversations to change things.. but also.. im assuming id need a task if i wanted a conversation topic to only happen one time?

<c>(%CharacterName[%AloneWithChar%]%)</c> what exactly is this? i understand %charactername% but the rest is unknown to me

i understand your note said that it runs the command but.. what exactly is the .. i suppose the question is what exactly is the program getting from this command what is it telling it?
yg
it's a difficult question for me to form but it Helps me understand it more.. what exactly am i telling it to do and what message is it getting as a task to do? help me out here lol..

really thank you for this demo along with everything else you've done for me so far.
ZyriBlackwood

Postby saabie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:24 am

If the player is in a location with exactly one other character, then %AloneWithChar% will return the key of that character.
%CharacterName[ ]% is a function that takes that key and returns either a description of the character or their name.
The parentheses ( ) are printed as-is around the character name.
The <c> tag changes the color of the text. Anything printed between the <c> and </c> tags will be printed using the "Input Color" that is set in the runner under the /View/Options menu.
saabie

Postby ZyriBlackwood » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:17 pm

I'm sorry im seeing how the yes or no thing is working forgive me and ignore that question.

also forgive me but im still learning terminology. what is a "key"
ZyriBlackwood

Postby saabie » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:36 am

A key uniquely identifies an item (object, character, location, task, group etc.) It is usually a short abbreviation of the name of the item and cannot contain spaces.
You don't normally need to know what a particular key is, it just gets passed from one function to another. Keys can be made visible on edit forms, or displayed in the folders if you need to do something more complex.
saabie

Postby Denk » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:10 pm

ZyriBlackwood wrote:So... what exactly does the Task in this demo do?

I made no tasks for this demo. The folder named "conversation" on the right, which contains seven tasks, are part of the standard library. You do not need to understand these tasks to use ADRIFT. However, once you get the hang of ADRIFT you might want to look at the standard library tasks, as they can inspire you to use ADRIFT for more advanced stuff. But roughly explained, the commands of these tasks are matched with the user input during play, and when they are matched, the actions within these tasks are carried out, by running the content of the conversation tab. However, if you prefer to use tasks instead of the conversation tab, you can then make specific tasks, which overrides these tasks, so that the conversation tab is not activated.

ZyriBlackwood wrote:it seems i don't actionns unless i want these conversations to change things.. but also.. im assuming id need a task if i wanted a conversation topic to only happen one time?
If a conversation topic should only happen one time, you can define a variable, let's call it "A" and initialize it to zero, and then you need to have a restriction for the topic which requires that "A" is zero, and an action which sets "A" equal to one. Thus, the first time the topic runs, the variable "A" is set to 1 and so the topic will not run again.

Lastly, since you are new to ADRIFT you may learn something from this thread:
http://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12082

Hope this answers your questions, otherwise, just ask again.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby ZyriBlackwood » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:41 am

Oh Wow thanks! this actually helps a lot!
ZyriBlackwood

Return to ADRIFT 5.0