ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Quick Questions

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Quick Questions

Postby Heradite » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:13 am

So I have some questions. I'm trying to create a text adventure game primarily for my own enjoyment. I'm trying to decide if ADRIFT is right for me or I should use Quest. I'm trying to create a sandbox RPG with some level of random events (based on the time of day). I also plan to have some (but not a lot) of combat.

My questions are:
1) I can give this game to people without sharing it on the main website or uploading it right? I doubt I'll ever actually finish but if I did, I'd much rather share it to just a few people.
2) I did download the program to give it a quick run but I can't seem to figure out: is there a way to do a quick character creator? Let the character pick their name, a class, and maybe a couple other things then move them into the game?
3) I see there are libraries for time. Which is the right library to use for a game where the player has a schedule (which they can ignore or keep) and includes months? I found a clock system in Quest but apparently it's only good for 99 days. SO I stick with Quest I likely have to break up my game into different 6 different games.
4) I likely will have lots of variables and objects. Can ADRIFT handle this?
5) Is ADRIFT still in active development? Seems like it's been some time since the last update?

I know my game is very ambitious but like I said, it's really for my own enjoyment.
Heradite

Re: Quick Questions

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:47 am

Hi there.
First of all, welcome to our little corner of the IF universe. I hope you'll enjoy your stay. :yeah:

As for your questions:
1: You can give this game to anyone you want without sharing it on the main website. All that is asked of you is that you mention that your game is created using the Adrift 5. and that Campbell developed it.
2: I don't know if there's a quick way to do this. But I do know that it's possible to let the player choose his/her own name. (Somebody will probably answer this question)
3: As I recall there's no time limit on Adrift V.5
4: Yes, Adrift can handle lots of variables and objects. (Take a look at the game Skybreak … :shock: )
5: Now this is a hard one. My honest answer would be unfortunately no. I'm constantly poking Campbell to get his finger out and get back to the drawing board but I believe it's easier to teach Trump some manners :wink:
However, I'm not giving up. I've been with Adrift pretty much since the beginning and I enjoy it very much. I know that Saabie is currently working on an update on the standard library, so right now he's our hope.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:14 pm

I agree with everything P/O Prune said but would also like to mention:
Heradite wrote:2) I did download the program to give it a quick run but I can't seem to figure out: is there a way to do a quick character creator? Let the character pick their name, a class, and maybe a couple other things then move them into the game?
What you describe is fairly easy once you get the hang of ADRIFT 5. I will upload an example soon for you to check out.

Heradite wrote:3) I see there are libraries for time. Which is the right library to use for a game where the player has a schedule (which they can ignore or keep) and includes months? I found a clock system in Quest but apparently it's only good for 99 days. SO I stick with Quest I likely have to break up my game into different 6 different games.

I don't think any IF-tool has a completely fleshed out time-system with e.g. month names, week numbers etc. since it would be much more than anyone would need. Therefore most time systems count minutes, hours and days. But then you can easily adjust it to your needs, e.g. if you know it will run from 4th of August 1873 to 9th of November 1875, you can make the game keep track of which month and year it is too.
NB: There is a bug in the original ADRIFT time system (did not count days correctly), so a bugfixed version can be found here: http://www.adrift.co/game/1520

Regarding combat: You might want to use the Eamon Combat Module for ADRIFT 5 (here: http://www.adrift.co/game/1507). However, before doing so, you should check out this game: http://www.adrift.co/game/1509
This game demonstrates how the Eamon Combat Module behaves, so you should check it out to see if it suits your game.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby Denk » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:14 pm

As promised, here is a small example of a character creator. Just ask if something isn't clear.
CharacterCreator.taf
(15.98 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Example transcript:
adrift Code: Select all
CHARACTER CREATOR EXAMPLE:

What is the name of your character?

> john
Welcome John!

You may choose from these three classes:
1. Thief
2. Mage
3. Warrior

What is your class? (type, 1, 2 or 3)

> 2
Okay, John is a mage.

Now choose a weapon:

1. Sword
2. Axe
3. Spear
4. Club

> 4
Okay, John has a club.

INTRO STORY:
---------------------
Long time ago in a galaxy far away, bla. Bla. Bla.

Forest
You are standing in a dense forest.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby Heradite » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:40 pm

Thanks for the answer guys! I wasn't expecting someone to give me an example! I think I can use that to create what I need for a character creator!

As for the combat system, I might try to see if I can make it fit but unlikely. I plan to have two health bars: one that goes up as you take damage up to a certain threshold based on your class. Your actual health only goes down if the damage taken is more than what your class can take (since "HP" in my game is more Mental Health than physical health). (There are a couple other ways to lose my kind of HP). I know this sounds needlessly complicated but the fights here aren't to the death. I had built something like this in Twine but I moved on from Twine when I lost a lot of work. So I'm hoping I can somewhat recreate it in ADRIFT using variables.

(SO far my biggest issue with moving from gamebook to adventure is I haven't figured out how to have character objects react to the player character. Like if the character is naked or if he just randomly punches someone, I want the NPCs to react! I could do room events in Quest or the equivalent here but I also want the NPCs to move. But I'm sure there's a way to do this.)

Anyways thanks for the help guys. I'll keep trying this program. :)
Heradite

Postby The0didactus » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:04 pm

I'll post some random answers.

First, I recently made a game very, very similar to what you're describing here. You can play it here: http://play.adrift.co/?game=http://www. ... ak!%20(1.1).taf

and I can tell you exactly how I did all that...it's pretty simple.

ADRIFT's variable system is EXTREMELY robust. You can indeed simulate much of an adventure book or pencil and paper RPG using ADRIFT. Skybreak! has around 400, and simulates a dice-rolling adventure book style game with 14 ability scores, and dozens of backgrounds, talents, and races.

I recently made a threat here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12513&hilit=theo
that describes the adventurebook style system I use in almost all my games. You can use the guide there to make encounters and rolls.
The0didactus

Postby DazaKiwi » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:51 pm

The0didactus wrote:I recently made a threat here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12513&hilit=theo
that describes the adventurebook style system I use in almost all my games. You can use the guide there to make encounters and rolls.

No don't make threats rofl ahem

My 2 cents is before embarking on making a big RPG adventure, make a small one, bare bones RPG. Learn the ins and outs of Adrift because it does have it querks and bugs and taking time to learn how it works will cause less frustration than jumping into the deep end. Learn how properties work and what happens when you delete properties, alternative descs and events etc.
So by making simple basic games you can experiment and learn and apply that knowledge to a bigger project. Another thing to learn is good folder management a game that grows can get messy fast with a jumble of tasks, events and variables all in one folder makes for a headache.

Also when you are ready to make your bigger game make stand alone demos of systems you want to make eg. combat, trading, etc. You will find you might end up making them from scratch a few times because you learnt a new way to do something and more efficiently that has been the case for me etc. It is possible to make Modules in Adrift which you can turn your demo into a module and import it into a new game but there are some steps outside of Adrift you need to do for that which the manual explains but first just learn to use Adrift.

If you haven't already seen some threads aimed at new drifters here is a good one http://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12082
DazaKiwi

Postby Heradite » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:43 pm

The0didactus wrote:I'll post some random answers.

First, I recently made a game very, very similar to what you're describing here. You can play it here: http://play.adrift.co/?game=http://www. ... ak!%20(1.1).taf

and I can tell you exactly how I did all that...it's pretty simple.

ADRIFT's variable system is EXTREMELY robust. You can indeed simulate much of an adventure book or pencil and paper RPG using ADRIFT. Skybreak! has around 400, and simulates a dice-rolling adventure book style game with 14 ability scores, and dozens of backgrounds, talents, and races.

I recently made a threat here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12513&hilit=theo

I'll check that out when I can.

(And Daza that is good advice. The deep end is very alluring but yes should learn how to swim before diving off.)
Heradite

Postby Heradite » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:49 am

Quick question:

The Task Priority determines which task ADRIFT should execute if more than one matches the player's input. The one with the lowest number in this field has the highest priority and will be executed first. The tasks in the Standard Library always have very large priority numbers, while tasks that you create will initially be numbered in order of creation starting at 1. This means that any task you create will execute before any Standard Library task by default. You only need to alter this value if you have two tasks that are both able to match the same player input and pass their restrictions at the same time, and you wish to change the order in which they are executed.

So if I'm understanding this right, if I set something to have priority 1 and something to have priority 2 and both restrictions pass then the priority 1 will run and then priority 2? Or just run priority 1? What happens if they both have priority 1? Do they both run?
Heradite

Postby Denk » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:00 am

Heradite wrote:So if I'm understanding this right, if I set something to have priority 1 and something to have priority 2 and both restrictions pass then the priority 1 will run and then priority 2? Or just run priority 1?
With default settings only the task with priority 1 will run (see cases below).

Heradite wrote:What happens if they both have priority 1? Do they both run?
Two tasks cannot have the same priority. If you set a task priority to a value that another task has, the task priority of all relevant tasks will be adjusted automatically.

Below are the most common situations.

First assuming that you do not change the default settings in the advanced pane of the tasks:

CASE 1:
* Task A & B are general tasks
* Task A set to first priority
* Task B set to second priority
* All restrictions are met in both tasks
Result: Only Task A runs.

CASE 2:
* Task A restriction not met
* Task A restriction text field is empty
Result: Only Task B runs

CASE 3:
* Task A restriction text field is NOT empty
Result: Task A restriction text displayed. None of the tasks run.

CASE 4:
If you go to the advanced pane of Task A and tick "Continue executing matching lower priority tasks", task B will run after Task A ran or after the restriction text was displayed.

Now change it back to default before case 5:

CASE 5:
* Task A is a general task
* Task C is a specific task set to override Task A
* Task D is a specific task set to override Task A
* Task C has higher priority than D
* All restrictions met
Result: Task C runs. The priority of task A is not important in this case.

CASE 6:
If you again go to the advanced pane of Task A and tick "Continue executing matching lower priority tasks", task B will run after Task C.

I hope you get the idea, since there are so many combinations of priority numbers, specific and general tasks and then the setting of "Continue executing matching lower priority tasks" may be ticked or unticked.

Add to this that specific tasks can be set to either "override", "run before" or "run after" and if "run before" is chosen you can further more choose to display parent message and execute parent actions. And then there is the setting "Task is repeatable".

So there are a huge amount of possibilities. But if you stick to the default settings unless you need something special it is fairly simple as the six cases explained above.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby Heradite » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:41 pm

Denk wrote:
Heradite wrote:So if I'm understanding this right, if I set something to have priority 1 and something to have priority 2 and both restrictions pass then the priority 1 will run and then priority 2? Or just run priority 1?
With default settings only the task with priority 1 will run (see cases below).

Heradite wrote:What happens if they both have priority 1? Do they both run?
Two tasks cannot have the same priority. If you set a task priority to a value that another task has, the task priority of all relevant tasks will be adjusted automatically.

Below are the most common situations.

First assuming that you do not change the default settings in the advanced pane of the tasks:

CASE 1:
* All restrictions are met in both tasks
Result: Only Task A runs.

CASE 2:
* Task A restriction text field is empty
Result: Only Task B runs

CASE 3:
* Task A restriction text field is NOT empty
Result: Task A restriction text displayed. None of the tasks run.

CASE 4:
If you go to the advanced pane of Task A and tick "Continue executing matching lower priority tasks", task B will run after Task A ran or after the restriction text was displayed.

Now change it back to default before case 5:

CASE 5:
* Task A is a general task
* Task C is a specific task set to override Task A
* Task D is a specific task set to override Task A
* Task C has higher priority than D
* All restrictions met
Result: Task C runs. The priority of task A is not important in this case.

CASE 6:
If you again go to the advanced pane of Task A and tick "Continue executing matching lower priority tasks", task B will run after Task C.

I hope you get the idea, since there are so many combinations of priority numbers, specific and general tasks and then the setting of "Continue executing matching lower priority tasks" may be ticked or unticked.

Add to this that specific tasks can be set to either "override", "run before" or "run after" and if "run before" is chosen you can further more choose to display parent message and execute parent actions. And then there is the setting "Task is repeatable".

So there are a huge amount of possibilities. But if you stick to the default settings unless you need something special it is fairly simple as the six cases explained above.

Oh I see. So if I want some tasks to run at the end of every turn (basically behind the scenes variable changes each with their own set of restrictions) I make them high priority and click the checkbox to let lower priority tasks? That's good to know. Thanks!
Heradite

Postby Denk » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:25 pm

Heradite wrote:Oh I see. So if I want some tasks to run at the end of every turn (basically behind the scenes variable changes each with their own set of restrictions) I make them high priority and click the checkbox to let lower priority tasks?
My previous post was about which tasks would run when a command is matched. If you want a task to run at the end of every turn no matter which command was entered, that is something else. To do that you should make an event which starts immediately and runs for one turn and restarts itself. The event then calls those tasks you want to be carried out at the end of every turn. Hope this makes sense, if not ask again. An effective way to learn ADRIFT is to try to implement a technique in a small demo. If it doesn't work, you can attach it to a post and we can let you know what changes are needed to make it work. If you have no idea where to start, we can make a small demo for you.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby Heradite » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:14 pm

Denk wrote:
Heradite wrote:Oh I see. So if I want some tasks to run at the end of every turn (basically behind the scenes variable changes each with their own set of restrictions) I make them high priority and click the checkbox to let lower priority tasks?
My previous post was about which tasks would run when a command is matched. If you want a task to run at the end of every turn no matter which command was entered, that is something else. To do that you should make an event which starts immediately and runs for one turn and restarts itself. The event then calls those tasks you want to be carried out at the end of every turn. Hope this makes sense, if not ask again. An effective way to learn ADRIFT is to try to implement a technique in a small demo. If it doesn't work, you can attach it to a post and we can let you know what changes are needed to make it work. If you have no idea where to start, we can make a small demo for you.

Ah okay. And just checked the help manual and it looks like it won't run if it doesn't meet the requirements. That's great! Thanks for clarifying this!
Heradite

Postby Heradite » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 pm

"Characters can also be placed into groups, so a class of school students could be placed together into a group so that the game can have them all react to the player the same way without having to add an individual restriction for each one.

In a role playing game with different "factions", the members of each faction can be placed in a group so that each individual knows how they should react to a member of a particular faction."

From the wiki

How do I do this? When I go to restrictions it has "Any Character", "Player Character", and then a list of individual characters. I'm trying to do the first one.
Heradite

Postby Denk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:52 pm

Heradite wrote:How do I do this? When I go to restrictions it has "Any Character", "Player Character", and then a list of individual characters.

I am not sure exactly where you are looking. When you create a new restriction by clicking the "add"-button, an empty restriction is opened, which is by default set to the first restriction-type "location". At the top of the restriction window, you should change it from "location" to "character". If you are making a task, which command includes %character% (e.g. TALK TO %character%), you can select [Referenced Character]. The next field in the restriction can then be set to either "must" or "must not". In the next field, you get a lot of possibilities. Here you should choose "be member of group". Then, in the last field you can select the character groups you have created, e.g. "Class A" and "Class B" or whatever name you have given the group.

See picture below:
Attachments
CharacterRestriction.png
CharacterRestriction.png (11.56 KiB) Viewed 298 times
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Next

Return to ADRIFT 5.0