ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Static object within an object?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Static object within an object?

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:16 am

Is there a way to have a static object appear inside another object?
I have a drawer that when it's opened will reveal a piece of parchment (static object.) This is just scenery so it's not all that important but the only way I can do this is by making the parchment a part of the drawer (object) unless I make it a dynamic object in which case I can place it inside the drawer.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 89Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Static object within an object?

Postby Denk » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:24 am

P/o Prune wrote:Is there a way to have a static object appear inside another object?
No, that isn't possible.

P/o Prune wrote:I have a drawer that when it's opened will reveal a piece of parchment (static object.) This is just scenery so it's not all that important but the only way I can do this is by making the parchment a part of the drawer (object) unless I make it a dynamic object in which case I can place it inside the drawer.

If your only reason for choosing a static object is, that the object should not be taken, I would personally go for a dynamic object and then prevent the parchment from being taken by making a specific task which overrides "Take objects from object" (set "objects" to parchment). Then if you make the drawer openable, the parchment will be mentioned automatically when you open the drawer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:44 pm

P/o Prune wrote:I have a drawer that when it's opened will reveal a piece of parchment (static object.) This is just scenery so it's not all that important but the only way I can do this is by making the parchment a part of the drawer (object) unless I make it a dynamic object in which case I can place it inside the drawer.

If your only reason for choosing a static object is, that the object should not be taken, I would personally go for a dynamic object and then prevent the parchment from being taken by making a specific task which overrides "Take objects from object" (set "objects" to parchment). Then if you make the drawer openable, the parchment will be mentioned automatically when you open the drawer.[/quote]
That's what I ended up doing. :wink:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 89Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Kennedy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:03 am

What about using custom library files? Could it possibly be achieved that way?
Kennedy

Return to ADRIFT 5.0