ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

IF Casual Mode: Yes or No?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

IF Casual Mode: Yes or No?

Postby RenatoDias » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:30 am

What do you guys think of casual mode in IF games? I mean, giving instructions on everything the player should do, such as what word to use when asking/telling/saying, what commands do what, etc? I have a mode like that on the game I'm working on, along with two full game manuals, one explaining about IF commands and the other, things on the game itself.
RenatoDias

Re: IF Casual Mode: Yes or No?

Postby David Whyld » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:20 am

I'd be okay with it provided there was an option to turn it off. I think if it was on permanently, it'd end up annoying me before long.

Quite a few (non-IF) games I play begin with a tutorial, which is fine because some of the systems used are complicated and need explaining, but most of the time the tutorials go on for too long and I'm left with the feeling that I'd sooner just turn it off and start playing the game on my own and figure things out as I go along.
David Whyld

Re: IF Casual Mode: Yes or No?

Postby RenatoDias » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:39 pm

I have two codes, each to select a mode:
set gamemode classic: sets the classic IF mode, with no tips and the player has to figure things out.
set gamemode casual: sets the casual mode, with tips on how to play and what commands to type, what to pay attention at(I have bold text on words to use on commands/talk).
These two control a property on Z_MainMenu, the first room.
RenatoDias

Return to ADRIFT 5.0