ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Problems with LOOK

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Problems with LOOK

Postby rovarsson » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:02 am

Hello all, Rovarsson here.

I'm slowly but steadily tackling the learning curve for creating games in ADRIFT 5. I have a pretty well-thought-out plan for my first game (working title "The Tree") and some good puzzles for the first two chapters (if I may say so myself...)
I am experiencing two rather odd things with the verb LOOK though:

a) "L" is not recognized as LOOK. Instead I get a "Sorry, but I don't recognize that verb"-message. I tried working around this by making L a synonym for LOOK, but now I get the response "Look what?"

b) When I do type the full verb LOOK, I get the right location-description alright, but it appears at the top of the page. All previous commands and responses are cleared.

I have no idea where to even begin setting this right. I have not fiddled with any settings or with the standard library or anything.

Does anyone here know what might be going on and how I might fix it?

Thank you!
rovarsson

Re: Problems with LOOK

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:20 am

That sounds weird…
I have just tried using >l and >L (for look) and both worked fine.
I'm sure it must be something in the setting, but right now I can't imagine what it would be.

By the way. Congrats with working on your game. If you haven't done already I would suggest that you put up a post in the WIP section. I find this to be an excellent way of keeping myself on track of my game.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 89Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:48 am

Hello Rovarsson,

I have fixed your problem with L/LOOK, email on its way soon! :yeah:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:57 am

Lazzah wrote:Hello Rovarsson,

I have fixed your problem with L/LOOK, email on its way soon! :yeah:

What was the problem?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 89Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:01 pm

Edit: I have just seen that Lazzah has solved your problem - great! Since I have already written this post I might as well post it in case there is something in it you can use.

This is a good time for trying the debugger. In the runner, go to VIEW->Debugger. In the Debugger, set the "detail level" to "high". Then type LOOK in the runner and something should happen in the debugger. It should tell you which tasks it is trying to run and if the tasks are being overridden etc. If you don't know how to interpret the results, copy and paste it into a forum post here and we can propose what to do next.

A note on synonyms: Most experienced ADRIFT-users rarely if ever use what ADRIFT calls synonyms, since there are other ways to handle synonyms. If you want synonyms for a verb, you add the synonym in the command field in the general task. And if you want a synonym for an object, you type the standard noun in the field "Name/Noun(s):". Then you press enter. The field will then be cleared, ready for another synonym. Then type the synonym in the field "Name/Noun(s):" and hit enter again. In this way, you can add as many synonyms you like.

The same is possible for characters.

If anything above is not clear, just ask again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby rovarsson » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:29 pm

Hi all!

When in doubt, shoot the HTML-code! One of those nasty 'cls' buggers slipped under my radar. I have now squashed it with my god-like thumb.
As for the second part of the problem: I referenced LOOK in another task. It was not needed and I could easily create a workaround.

Thanks for the Debugger info, Denk. I haven't tried it yet, but I will.

Thanks for caring to all involved!
rovarsson

Return to ADRIFT 5.0