ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Error message

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Error message

Postby rovarsson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:27 pm

I'm really not sure if this is the place to ask, but here goes:

When I try to open the gamefile I'm currently working on (The Tree) in Developer, I get an error message 131. (In Dutch: "Er is geprobeerd de bestandsaanwijzer voor het begin van het bestand te plaatsen.") It has a box under it with specifics:

bij ADRIFT.frmError..ctor(String sErrorMessage, Exception ex)
bij ADRIFT.SharedModule.ErrMsg(String sMessage, Exception ex)
bij ADRIFT.FileIO.LoadFile(String sFilename, FileTypeEnum eFileType, LoadWhatEnum eLoadWhat, Boolean bLibrary, DateTime dtAdvDate, Int64 lOffset, Boolean bSilentError)
bij ADRIFT.GeneratorGlobal.OpenAdventure(String sFilename)
bij ADRIFT.frmGenerator.DoToolClick(String sKey, String sCaption, String sTag)
bij Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.OnToolClick(ToolClickEventArgs e)
bij Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.FireEvent(ToolbarEventIds id, EventArgs e)
bij Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupMenuItemUIElement.DoClickProcessing(MouseEventArgs e)
bij Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupMenuItemUIElement.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
bij Infragistics.Win.TextUIElementBase.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
bij Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUpHelper(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
bij Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUp(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
bij Infragistics.Win.Utilities.ProcessEvent(Control control, ProcessEvent eventToProcess, EventArgs e)
bij Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupControlBase.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(Message& m)
bij Infragistics.Win.UIAutomation.UiaProviderControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& msg)
bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
bij System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
bij System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
bij System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
bij ADRIFT.frmGenerator.Main()
bij System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
bij System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
bij System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
bij R.P.Main(String[] args)

I have no idea what I might have done, or even if I did do something.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Rovarsson
rovarsson

Re: Error message

Postby rovarsson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:37 pm

I found the (supposedly correct) English translation:

An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file.
rovarsson

Postby Denk » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:32 pm

I searched for the term "file pointer" in the forum and found that this problem happened to someone recently - but no-one proposed a solution. Going further back, the problem also occurred to someone in 2014 in this thread: http://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10887&p=97645&hilit=file+pointer#p97645

Sounds like there is a small chance that the .bak-file may work, i.e. rename the .bak-file to "something-else".taf
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby rovarsson » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:02 am

Thanks! Will try now.
rovarsson

Postby rovarsson » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:06 am

Nope. Thanks for trying anyway.
rovarsson

Postby rovarsson » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:21 am

I took a look at the 2014 posts, and this is indeed what happened to me. Of course, being an enthousiastic newbie (and also an allround sloppy organizer), I didn't make any back-ups yet...
But, With an ever-positive outlook on life's problems, I choose to look at it this way:
-I had only written three rooms in full, and I was constantly fiddling with the map-layout so it would be good for the game to start from scratch. No risk of loose threads, better view from the start what locations and objects I'm going to need in the first chapter, a chance to rewrite the descriptions better.

(turns to empty Developer file, keeps telling himself the above, sighs...)
rovarsson

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:52 am

rovarsson wrote:I took a look at the 2014 posts, and this is indeed what happened to me. Of course, being an enthousiastic newbie (and also an allround sloppy organizer), I didn't make any back-ups yet...

If I'm not mistaken, the backup file will generate automatically. Have you tried search for a *.bak file?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:28 am

P/o Prune wrote:
rovarsson wrote:I took a look at the 2014 posts, and this is indeed what happened to me. Of course, being an enthousiastic newbie (and also an allround sloppy organizer), I didn't make any back-ups yet...

If I'm not mistaken, the backup file will generate automatically. Have you tried search for a *.bak file?

That's what I told him. He told me that he can use an old file I amended for him as a starting point for a new un-bugged version. Still, even if you have only done three locations, it is such a shame to lose all the work you have done.

I was thinking it would be great to have a button in the developer taskbar that would save a copy of your game file in a different location, say a green disc icon. The first time you click it you are asked for the location and thereafter the game file is automatically saved there when you click the button. OK, I know there are going to be those who will say "but you can do that anyway by doing this and doing that", but to do it with one click would be so much easier and having the green icon visible would remind you.

Taking that idea further, how about an option in Settings to save a backup game file automatically when you click on the blue SAVE icon?

Hands up all those who would like to see the above implemented?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby saabie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:55 pm

I always have a version number at the end of my filename. Every time I save I increment the number using Save-As so I have a whole lot of files like Tree1.taf Tree2.taf Tree3.taf that I can go back to. I have about 50 versions of my game on my hard disk at the moment, I haven't bothered deleting the very old ones as taf files are tiny and take-up an insignificant amount of space on a modern hard disk.
It would be nice if the developer could do this automatically as it is easy to save a corrupted file twice and loose the backup before you know you need it.
Also, windows hides file extensions by default, making it difficult for people without lots of computer knowledge to recover the backup file that is there.
saabie

Postby Denk » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:08 am

I work pretty much in the same way as Saabie described above. Still, it would be nice if the backup feature could be improved. If something goes wrong with the taf-file, often the bak-file will be corrupted too. So it is important that a new backup-file is created whenever the user presses SAVE. As Saabie pointed out, the file extensions are not accessible by default in Windows. So it would be better if the file was saved as a taf-file instead of a bak-file. To continue with Saabie's example: If the user is working with the file Tree2.taf, ADRIFT should create backup files named Tree2bak1.taf, Tree2bak2.taf, Tree2bak3.taf and so forth whenever the user presses SAVE. As Lazzah proposed, the backup-files should be saved to a different folder dedicated to backup-files, e.g. ../Documents/AdriftBackups/ or a folder specified by the user. At least, this is how I think an improved backup-system should be implemented.

I just realized that this is roughly what DazaKiwi proposed in this Enhancement request: http://www.adrift.co/bug/18806

We should upvote this Enhancement and comment if we think things should be slightly different. My main concern here is, that the autosave must ensure that the IFID is unchanged unlike when you normally save under a new name, the IFID is changed.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby Lazzah » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:28 pm

Denk wrote:I just realized that this is roughly what DazaKiwi proposed in this Enhancement request: http://www.adrift.co/bug/18806

We should upvote this Enhancement and comment if we think things should be slightly different. My main concern here is, that the autosave must ensure that the IFID is unchanged unlike when you normally save under a new name, the IFID is changed.

I must have upvoted this when it was first proposed, as when I clicked on the green upvote symbol nothing happened. That was 7 years ago, will it ever get implemented?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby rovarsson » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:02 pm

Hi!

Thank you all for caring so much. I've decided to go ahead and start anew anyway.

And after rewriting the first rooms and the title screen, I feel I have made the right decision. As I have written to Lazzah:

"Starting over is good for the game. And also for my confidence in writing it. Some basic general tasks and location groups are ready from the get-go, every object and task has the necessary boxes checked and restrictions added. I can see the needed actions more clearly.
I also feel I improved the text considerably: sparser descriptions, details in subsequent layers of examining, better use of alternative descriptions...
All in all, a clean slate was a good thing."

It is a great feeling to see you coming to my aid so quickly. I hope I can experience this again in the future, next time I have a problem I can't make sense of. (Which will unavoidably happen.)

Greetings to you all,

Rovarsson.
rovarsson

Postby rovarsson » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:08 pm

And I'm delighted by the way this single problem evolved rapidly into a well reasoned discussion about more general qualities of Adrift and ways to improve them.
rovarsson

Return to ADRIFT 5.0