ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

[HELP NEEDED] Bomb defusal and player hints

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: [HELP NEEDED] Bomb defusal and player hints

Postby RenatoDias » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:23 pm

Rule of X in that means 1,4,2,3(first, fourth, second, third buttons).
The wires, just pay attention to the tip and the wire colors. TIP: Does it have stripes? Means a striped wire.
The code is pretty straightforward, as you have to use the sequence on the model. For example, if the model is GF34Q0, discard the letters and "input 340". Maybe I should put the discard letters part on the text.
That manual you get from a friend of the main character.

About the bomb section, it's only for a story mission, so the player can identify which corporation to investigate first.
RenatoDias

Postby R2T1 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:38 am

As I don't play multiplayer games due to limited data allowances, I still don't understand your glyphs section entirely. The other two I get now with your further explanations. I think your "rule of X" assumes that everybody writes an "X" starting as a continuous starting at the top left, then down and right to the bottom right corner. And then another continuous line starting from the top right, then down and left to the bottom left corner. This may not always be true. A left-handed person may draw it differently to a right-handed person. I sometimes might start at one of the 2 bottom positions.

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm and I hope you continue to make your game. It's just that there are times you need to stop and rethink your descriptions/explanations to ensure they will be understood by all potential players.
R2T1

Postby RenatoDias » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:42 pm

R2T1 wrote:As I don't play multiplayer games due to limited data allowances, I still don't understand your glyphs section entirely. The other two I get now with your further explanations. I think your "rule of X" assumes that everybody writes an "X" starting as a continuous starting at the top left, then down and right to the bottom right corner. And then another continuous line starting from the top right, then down and left to the bottom left corner. This may not always be true. A left-handed person may draw it differently to a right-handed person. I sometimes might start at one of the 2 bottom positions.

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm and I hope you continue to make your game. It's just that there are times you need to stop and rethink your descriptions/explanations to ensure they will be understood by all potential players.

Good point, Denk. One thing I would like to ask, the numbers do not make it easier to understand?
About enthusiasm, don't worry. I'll only release when I'm 100% sure it's understandable for both the younger people and the older players. I'm constantly changing it, and also, that text on the link is from the manual, not the bomb description. Once you get to mission 3, you'll get the manual from a friend of the protagonist.
I think I maybe will add more instructions to the casual mode about the bomb. I don't plan to reuse the bomb further in the game, not even as a sidequest(because I would have to make a new bomb, or use the easier procedure(DEFUSE BOMB)).
RenatoDias

Postby rovarsson » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:57 am

-David Whyld:
About "King of Shreds and Patches": The gun puzzle is very logical and you can vary the order in which you do the steps (within realistic bounds). Also, you only have to go through the motions once, after that, you can just type LOAD GUN.
A better example is the printing press puzzle. Same concept as the gun puzzle: figure out the steps and you can use the press. Problem is: the PC is a printer by trade! I found it a very enjoyable puzzle by itself, but it broke my suspension of disbelief quite violently.
rovarsson

Postby David Whyld » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:20 am

Whether the puzzle is logical or not isn't really the point. It's just unnecessarily complicated. There's no need to drag a puzzle out over 12 or more steps when a simple LOAD GUN would suffice.

And yes, the printing press puzzle was equally as unnecessary.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:31 am

David Whyld wrote:Whether the puzzle is logical or not isn't really the point. It's just unnecessarily complicated. There's no need to drag a puzzle out over 12 or more steps when a simple LOAD GUN would suffice.

And yes, the printing press puzzle was equally as unnecessary.

David is right, you know. There's no need to make a puzzle more complicated than necessary. or to make a puzzle just to make one.

In "D-Day" the player must load his rifle after having fired 8 shots (The Garand M1 had a clip with 8 bullets) All I have done is >load rifle … Restriction being that the player is in possession of a clip of course.
The player is a soldier and it is assumed that he knows how to load his rifle... :whistle:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 5.0