ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Disabeling autocomplete?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Disabeling autocomplete?

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 am

I'm sure this has been mentioned before. But I can't seem to find a topic covering it.
Is there a way to disable the autocomplete in the runner so the player has to select it on rather than now when s/he has to select it off.?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 89Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Disabeling autocomplete?

Postby Lazzah » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:56 pm

P/o Prune wrote:I'm sure this has been mentioned before. But I can't seem to find a topic covering it.
Is there a way to disable the autocomplete in the runner so the player has to select it on rather than now when s/he has to select it off.?

No, but I have added an enhancement request on the Bugs page: http://www.adrift.co/bug/19041

Vote it up!
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:27 pm

Darn! how come it has only gotten 4 votes? (5 with mine)
Surely it must be irritating to a lot of people.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 89Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:37 pm

Why would you even want this feature anyway? Disabling something then making the player turn it back on if they want it is just going to annoy people. Why not leave the option in the player's hands?

Also, what does the number of votes matter anyway? Campbell's gone. He isn't going to fix stuff no matter how many people vote for it.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:42 pm

Most people don't want autocomplete, it's a constant annoyance that interferes everything you try to type, and I believe in some situations can even break tasks. If I get someone to try an ADRIFT game, how to disable it is always part of the already extensive list of instructions before they can even attempt to play.

But agreed that I've not seen much point in voting up the bugs, it's been a very long time since a bug has been fixed.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:57 pm

But all this option really does is turn it off by default instead of on. If the player has played any other games, they'll have autocomplete set to whatever their preference is so disabling it for certain games and make them enable it would likely just annoy them.
David Whyld

Postby DazaKiwi » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:58 pm

Well if the option to have it on or off by default could be set in the Developer then each author can do what they please if they feel it should be off to start with opposed to those who think it should be up to the player. As it stands now (unlikely to be added) its best to tell the player at the start there is the option to turn it off and how to do it. Which gives me an idea, creating a task that has basic instructions and info for the player and adding it to the library so its always added to any new game.
DazaKiwi

Return to ADRIFT 5.0