ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Bug With Sitting On An Object In Location Group

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Bug With Sitting On An Object In Location Group

Postby Lazzah » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:46 pm

Hi all, can anyone tell me if this is a known bug?

If I define a static object THE FLOOR as being a supporter (character can lie/sit/stand on it), if that object is assigned to a single location then I can manipulate any other object if I SIT/LIE/STAND on it. However, if I assign the object to a location group and I sit on the floor, I then cannot manipulate anything, an input such as X LAMP (which I am holding) returns "You can't see the lamp."

Does anyone know if this is a bug or expected behavior?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: Bug With Sitting On An Object In Location Group

Postby Denk » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:51 am

It is hard to know exactly what was intended. I was curious so I made a quick demo with four locations and I put the floor, which is a supporter, in the group "Everywhere". There is more odd behaviour than what you just described.

If I go to room 3 and SIT ON FLOOR followed by GET OFF FLOOR, I am suddenly in Room 1.

Another thing: If I put a lamp on the floor(supporter) in room 1, I can pick it up from all rooms. But if I sit on the floor I cannot interact with the lamp. Even if it is in my inventory, I cannot examine it while I am on the floor!

So I guess that a supporter is not intended to be standing/lying/sitting on if it belongs to a location group.

But a useful result of this experiment is, that it is possible for a dynamic object to be in more than one location at once. For instance, the supporter (or container if you like) could be a niche in the wall and there could be a dynamic object on it, e.g. a lamp, which then can be taken from several locations.

At least I did not know that :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby saabie » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:52 am

An object in a location group is really only meant as scenery or doorways between locations. Getting onto such an object is undefined behavior, so weird things happening should be expected.
What do you want to happen when you get on such an object? You could add an enhancement request that describes how such an object should behave.

If I had a river object in a location group then I would probably use an override task to move the player to a separate map of the locations on the river.
In your case it would be simpler to override getting on the floor to mean moving off of the current object and to the location itself (which is already the floor that everything else sits on)
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Denk wrote:If I go to room 3 and SIT ON FLOOR followed by GET OFF FLOOR, I am suddenly in Room 1.

Another thing: If I put a lamp on the floor(supporter) in room 1, I can pick it up from all rooms. But if I sit on the floor I cannot interact with the lamp. Even if it is in my inventory, I cannot examine it while I am on the floor!

But a useful result of this experiment is, that it is possible for a dynamic object to be in more than one location at once. For instance, the supporter (or container if you like) could be a niche in the wall and there could be a dynamic object on it, e.g. a lamp, which then can be taken from several locations.

At least I did not know that :)

The above is very interesting, Denk, and will certainly be of use when thinking up puzzles and scenarios in games.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Return to ADRIFT 5.0