ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Newly created tasks don't show up in the task-list.

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Newly created tasks don't show up in the task-list.

Postby rovarsson » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:30 pm

I like the feature where I can right-click on an object and select 'Add specific task'. It's easy and it sometimes gives me inspiration. However. when I create a specific task this way, it doesn't appear in the list with all the other tasks. Sometimes it shows up when I toggle 'Name' (alphabet order) or when I select 'Sort by None' . Sometimes it only appears when I close and reopen Developer.
I'm doing all my tasks from the taskbar on top now. Pity, I get some good ideas from the suggestions in the list. ('Add specific task: Squeeze sharp thistles' for example).

Anyone know about this?
rovarsson

Re: Newly created tasks don't show up in the task-list.

Postby DazaKiwi » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:18 am

I don't do that myself, but i did a test and the specific tasks were appearing in the folder no problem. The only similar issue i have sometimes is when creating a new task it goes into a different folder than intended and if you have a lot of folders you have to hunt for it. But its usually in the last folder you clicked on. So even if you right click in a folder to create a new task sometimes it will move to the last active folder you were using, but not always.

On a side note (fyi) toggling name in a folder will force all tasks to be listed by name and you cannot reorder the tasks at all and you cannot revert (i wonder if 'sort by none' was suppose to allow the user to order tasks as they want, in any case it doesn't work). I sometimes accidentally click on name and i have to create a new folder and move all the tasks over if i want to have an ordered structure.
DazaKiwi

Postby Denk » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:01 am

rovarsson wrote:I like the feature where I can right-click on an object and select 'Add specific task'. It's easy and it sometimes gives me inspiration.

Heh - I have used ADRIFT since 2016 but didn't know this feature. Neat. I tried to create five tasks this way. The tasks all showed up in the same folder as the object. But there may be a general problem with folders sometimes as DazaKiwi mentioned, which may be causing the problems you were experiencing too.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby rovarsson » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:57 am

Hi al,

Could be the multiple/many folder thing, I don't know yet.

On a side note: DazaKiwi, for now (newbie) I'm quite content using the ordering provided by Adrift. I se the folder to 'Order by Type', and then I begin all the tasks with the noun of the object or the name of the character the verb acts upon. "statue; climb on". I find what I need easily that way.
rovarsson

Postby Lazzah » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:23 am

FWIW, I have always just right-clicked in a folder and chosen whatever item I want to create from the list that is displayed, quick and simple, and I have never had an item "disappear" by using this method. :yeah:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby saabie » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:30 am

DazaKiwi wrote:sometimes is when creating a new task it goes into a different folder than intended and if you have a lot of folders you have to hunt for it. But its usually in the last folder you clicked on.
There is a "search" function in ADRIFT to help with finding lost items. Click "Find" on the home toolbar, enter the name of the task under "Find What:" and press the "Find All" button.
saabie

Return to ADRIFT 5.0