ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Restoring lost library

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Restoring lost library

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:33 am

I have, somehow, lost part of my "Give-Take and Drop" tasks in the standard library. (Give object to character)
Is there a simple way to get it back or do I have to do it the hard way and manually write the tasks into the library?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Restoring lost library

Postby Lazzah » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:54 am

P/o Prune wrote:I have, somehow, lost part of my "Give-Take and Drop" tasks in the standard library. (Give object to character)
Is there a simple way to get it back or do I have to do it the hard way and manually write the tasks into the library?

You could try exporting the Give-Take-Drop folder from another game file and importing it into your game? If you are going to try that I would make a back-up of your game file first in case it all goes pear-shaped.

Are you sure you haven't accidentally moved the tasks somewhere else? I have done that myself on occasion. Do a search for a word that would appear in one of the lost tasks.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:00 am

Lazzah wrote:Are you sure you haven't accidentally moved the tasks somewhere else? I have done that myself on occasion. Do a search for a word that would appear in one of the lost tasks.

I'm pretty sure. I tried to use the "find" option in the developer but nothing came up.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:21 am

The developer badly needs a Trash Can so if we accidentally delete something we can restore it in seconds. The number of times I have accidentally deleted something runs into the 100's! :haha:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Denk » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:13 am

P/o Prune wrote:I have, somehow, lost part of my "Give-Take and Drop" tasks in the standard library. (Give object to character)

If we are only talking about the task "Give object to character" you can just copy it from another game using the same library - no need to rewrite it. You cannot copy/paste between two open Developers but you can load the healthy game, copy the task, and then load the game in need of the task and then paste the copied task.

Please make sure that you are copying from the right library. At the moment some use the official latest release of the Standard Library (v35), some use saabie's updated library and some use the library in the beta-version of ADRIFT 5.0.36. Maybe it is not a problem for the "Give object to character"-task, but in general it could be important.

Also note, if ADRIFT gives you the question "Library file is more recent than your adventure. Do you want to update/insert any newer items?" it will update the library even if you click "no"!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby Lazzah » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Denk wrote:

If we are only talking about the task "Give object to character" you can just copy it from another game using the same library

Sorry to contradict you, but we are unable to copy and paste tasks from one game to another, even if it has the same library. I just tried to and it didn't work. You can copy text from one game to another but not anything else unless you do so via a module. Even that has problems, as per my post a while back: http://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12632
Lazzah

Postby Denk » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:01 pm

Lazzah wrote:Sorry to contradict you, but we are unable to copy and paste tasks from one game to another, even if it has the same library. I just tried to and it didn't work. You can copy text from one game to another but not anything else unless you do so via a module. Even that has problems, as per my post a while back: http://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12632

That's strange. I just tried again. I had no problem copying a task from one game to another. It is important that you do not shut down the Developer to open a new game and you cannot copy/paste from one instance of the Developer to another. You must ensure that you are using the same instance of the Developer for both games.

Switch between games as shown in the screenshot below, where I switch between temp.taf and temp2.taf. If you still cannot copy tasks between games (should be possible independent of the used library - it is just recommended to use the right library), perhaps it depends on the OS on your PC(?)

I am running Windows 10 Home and ADRIFT 5.0.35.3
Attachments
SwitchingBetweenGames.png
SwitchingBetweenGames.png (43.8 KiB) Viewed 604 times
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby Lazzah » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:06 pm

Well I'll be jiggered!!! Nearly 10 years I've been using ADRIFT and I never knew you could do that! When I think of all the tasks I have laboriously created in new games over the years it makes me want to cry! :cry: :haha:
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:14 pm

I never thought of that. A consequence of me not clearing the clipboard after loading a game!
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:50 pm

Campbell wrote:I never thought of that. A consequence of me not clearing the clipboard after loading a game!

Hopefully, it will stay that way :)
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Return to ADRIFT 5.0