ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Moving Parts Of Object out of Hidden.

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Moving Parts Of Object out of Hidden.

Postby rovarsson » Fri May 08, 2020 9:56 am

Hi all.

For a puzzle in TT where my PC has to fix a broken swing (see also "Climb Tree" in W.I.P.), I use the following approach.:
-Object 'Swing Set' is in location-group 'Playground & On Swings' at the start of the game.
-When the player knocks at a certain door, a boy runs out to the playground. This (KNOCK ON DOOR) is the trigger-task.
-I have created a twin object for the 'Swing Set' object: 'Broken Swing Set'. This object is in Hidden until triggered by KNOCK ON DOOR.
-The trigger task has 2 actions: 1) "Move object 'Swing Set' to Hidden'
2) "Move object Broken Swing Set' to everywhere in group 'Play Ground & On Swings''
This effectively swaps around the normal swings with the broken ones.

-So far so good. Now, 'Broken Swing Set' starts in Hidden, but all of the components 'swing ropes', 'swing seats', 'wooden pegs', etc... are created as 'Part of Object Broken Swing Set'.
-I was testing this yesterday and it appears that while the 'Broken Swing Set' and the normal 'Swing Set' do get swapped, the components, the 'Part Of Object'-s of the 'Broken Swing Set' are not moved with their 'Broken Swing Set'-parent object. (The components of the normal Swing Set do get moved to Hidden along with the parent -object.)

I was hoping for some thoughts and advice before I start to try sub-optimal work-arounds.

My first thoughts: a) Create all the components of 'Broken Swing Set' in Hidden (instead of Part Of Object) and add separate actions in the trigger task for each component to move 'Object' to Part Of Object 'Broken Swing Set'.
(This means adding loads of tasks that I thought wouldn't be necessary exactly because the components were 'Part Of Object')
b) Create all the components of 'Broken Swing Set' in Hidden and move them all as separate Objects to the location-group 'Play Ground & On Swings'. (I don't like this. I cannot really oversee the consequences and it doesn't feel right.)

So, anyone have a solution to this before I start tinkering and maybe cause more damage to my already 'Broken Swing Set''?

Thanks.
rovarsson

Re: Moving Parts Of Object out of Hidden.

Postby Denk » Fri May 08, 2020 12:54 pm

rovarsson wrote:For a puzzle in TT where my PC has to fix a broken swing (see also "Climb Tree" in W.I.P.), I use the following approach.:
-Object 'Swing Set' is in location-group 'Playground & On Swings' at the start of the game.
-When the player knocks at a certain door, a boy runs out to the playground. This (KNOCK ON DOOR) is the trigger-task.
-I have created a twin object for the 'Swing Set' object: 'Broken Swing Set'. This object is in Hidden until triggered by KNOCK ON DOOR.
-The trigger task has 2 actions: 1) "Move object 'Swing Set' to Hidden'
2) "Move object Broken Swing Set' to everywhere in group 'Play Ground & On Swings''
This effectively swaps around the normal swings with the broken ones.

-So far so good. Now, 'Broken Swing Set' starts in Hidden, but all of the components 'swing ropes', 'swing seats', 'wooden pegs', etc... are created as 'Part of Object Broken Swing Set'.
-I was testing this yesterday and it appears that while the 'Broken Swing Set' and the normal 'Swing Set' do get swapped, the components, the 'Part Of Object'-s of the 'Broken Swing Set' are not moved with their 'Broken Swing Set'-parent object. (The components of the normal Swing Set do get moved to Hidden along with the parent -object.)

This sounded like a bug in ADRIFT so I did a quick test. When I swap the swing sets all components (part of object) move together with parent object, both for the broken swing set and the fine swing set.

Perhaps you could try to reproduce the behaviour in a small demo. Sometimes when I do that, I realize what I am doing wrong. If you can't make it work in the demo, you can upload it to this thread and we can have a look at it. If you can make it work in the demo but still not in your game, you can e-mail your game to e.g. me and I can have a look at it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby rovarsson » Fri May 08, 2020 2:38 pm

Thanks for looking at it Denk.

I'll go over all objects again first, checking their Location/Part of Object-status.
If I find nothing (again), I'll make a simplified demo. (Impatient Me is already objecting. I'll have to ignore him.)

If all else fails, I'll call for help again.
rovarsson

Postby rovarsson » Sun May 17, 2020 8:55 pm

Solved (quite simply actually.) See Climb Tree in W.I.P.
rovarsson

Return to ADRIFT 5.0