ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Pausing macro?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Pausing macro?

Postby P/o Prune » Thu May 14, 2020 7:37 am

The macro is a great thing when you wish to test your game. But is there any way of pausing it at a certain place?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Pausing macro?

Postby rovarsson » Thu May 14, 2020 4:34 pm

I only know how to stop it when I see the spot where I need to be whizzing by. Esc does that. If I want to pick it up from that point, I'd copy-paste the rest of the macro in a new temporary one. No idea if you can really pause it.
rovarsson

Postby Lazzah » Thu May 14, 2020 6:16 pm

You can pause a macro by clicking on the title bar of the ADRIFT Runner with the RMB. This will open a menu and the macro will remain paused until you click on the title bar again to close the menu.

(Posted via my tower computer, which is now up and running after a few years, on the worktable I constructed today in my man-cave! :claps: :yeah: )
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Fri May 15, 2020 6:59 am

Lazzah wrote:You can pause a macro by clicking on the title bar of the ADRIFT Runner with the RMB. This will open a menu and the macro will remain paused until you click on the title bar again to close the menu.

(Posted via my tower computer, which is now up and running after a few years, on the worktable I constructed today in my man-cave! :claps: :yeah: )

First of all. Congrats with the computer, the man cave AND the worktable :thanks: I'm sure you will put all three into good use. :wink:

As for pausing the runner, your suggestion works fine. Unfortunately this is not what I meant by my question. What I was looking for was a command to type into the macro that will stop the running of the macro at a certain point.
I have found that sometimes when you make a change to your game it also alters something else in the game. So when you run your macro to check your game you find that suddenly a message appear "You can't do that" or "you see no such thing" Etc. So you find out where the error is and fix it. But rather than running through the whole game again (imagining having to do that with Skybreak?) you want it to stop where the error was so you can see if it worked.

However, while I was writing this post I suddenly had an idea and it worked, so problem solved.
I went into the macro and typed the command quit at the appropriate place and then ran the macro. When the macro reached the command it will stop and the "Would you like to save your game?" message appears. You can then simply click out of the running game and continue working on the game.
(Remember to delete the quit command :wink: )
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby rovarsson » Fri May 15, 2020 9:16 am

You could insert a meta-command in your macro. I use RESTORE or SAVE AS.
rovarsson

Postby P/o Prune » Fri May 15, 2020 10:13 am

rovarsson wrote:You could insert a meta-command in your macro. I use RESTORE or SAVE AS.

Same thing I guess. I tried using Quit and it worked, so I didn't explore further.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Fri May 15, 2020 7:49 pm

Good find Prune. I did not know this was possible as too restore or save as- i will have to experiment with that now. Also how does a macro get around waitkey in a game? i think in the past i noticed problems with that i think?
DazaKiwi

Postby P/o Prune » Sat May 16, 2020 6:54 am

DazaKiwi wrote:Good find Prune. I did not know this was possible as too restore or save as- i will have to experiment with that now. Also how does a macro get around waitkey in a game? i think in the past i noticed problems with that i think?

I don't know. Maybe some of the other Drifters can help?
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Sat May 16, 2020 8:31 am

I just had a thought: Saabie has been working on a new ADRIFT Runner for some time - I wonder if he has thought of a way to pause the Runner and/or insert a command which will trigger a keypress when the macro requires it?

We haven't seen you much on the forum lately, saabie, how's things in SA with the Corvid-19 crisis? :)
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby rotter » Sat May 16, 2020 9:35 pm

I have separate macros if I have various decision points (or parts which affect later elements) in a game.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby P/o Prune » Sun May 17, 2020 6:11 am

rotter wrote:I have separate macros if I have various decision points (or parts which affect later elements) in a game.

I do too. Remembering David's comment about not making games unwinable, I try to make at least two solutions where there's a major puzzle. For instance, if the player needs a rope in order to solve a critical puzzle, I always make sure that there are at least two ropes in the game.
In JaFT where a certain compass is essential I have made three macros in order to be able to test all possible solutions to the game.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby rovarsson » Sun May 17, 2020 7:18 am

In the development stage I am at now (well, my game; not me personally...) I have an exhaustive minimacro for nearly every location and character. I intend to put these together to a full macro, with all the possible commands. (I'll actually have to have two of those at least. Branching point in the middle game...)
Next to that, I have a minimal runthrough just to get to where I want to be.
rovarsson

Postby David Whyld » Sun May 17, 2020 7:37 am

All this talk of macros is fine, but isn't it a big step backwards from the way things were in the v4 days? Write a walkthrough as you go along, copy and paste it into the Runner and you're done. Editing the walkthrough whenever you make changes was certainly a lot easier than editing the macro each time.

Unfortunately, the copying and pasting doesn't work in v5 because even after all these years, it still doesn't support multiple commands on the same line (a feature which v4 had from day one). If Campbell ever works on it again, that's one of the first things he should fix.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Sun May 17, 2020 7:59 am

David Whyld wrote:All this talk of macros is fine, but isn't it a big step backwards from the way things were in the v4 days? Write a walkthrough as you go along, copy and paste it into the Runner and you're done. Editing the walkthrough whenever you make changes was certainly a lot easier than editing the macro each time.

Unfortunately, the copying and pasting doesn't work in v5 because even after all these years, it still doesn't support multiple commands on the same line (a feature which v4 had from day one). If Campbell ever works on it again, that's one of the first things he should fix.

I felt the same way, David. But after I have gotten the hang of macro (Thanks Lazzah :yeah: ) I find it quite easy to use. The macro is kind of a walkthrough, isn't it? and you write it as you go along in your game. Then if you change something in the game you just add / remove to the macro. The part about multiple commands is correct but to me the important thing is that I can run through my game.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Mon May 18, 2020 5:42 am

David Whyld wrote:Unfortunately, the copying and pasting doesn't work in v5 because even after all these years, it still doesn't support multiple commands on the same line (a feature which v4 had from day one). If Campbell ever works on it again, that's one of the first things he should fix.

Hate to haave to agree with David. rofl But, I miss this feature as well.

Still, the macros are the tool we have it v5. So, as I said I have a macro taking me up to an important decision point. Then another from there and so on. The same technique I would have used in V4 with the walkthrough.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Next

Return to ADRIFT 5.0