ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Pausing macro?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: Pausing macro?

Postby Campbell » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:59 pm

I think it's more just that I hadn't worked out how I could do multiple tasks in a single command in terms of parsing the input. E.g.

> get the ball and book and put them in the bag

This needs to parse [get the ball and book] as one command, and [put them in the bag] as a second. It needs to use the second [and] as a task separator, but use the first as an object list separator.

If it's very high up the priority list I can give it some more thought.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: Pausing macro?

Postby Denk » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:28 pm

Campbell wrote:I think it's more just that I hadn't worked out how I could do multiple tasks in a single command in terms of parsing the input. E.g.

> get the ball and book and put them in the bag

This needs to parse [get the ball and book] as one command, and [put them in the bag] as a second. It needs to use the second [and] as a task separator, but use the first as an object list separator.

If it's very high up the priority list I can give it some more thought.

Though it is a nice feature to be able to put more than one command in the command line, I would say that you really only need it when testing your game and in those situations macros can do the job.

I am not saying you shouldn't do it, but please consider backwards compatibility. For instance, in some of my games, the game understands a command like:

John, hello

Which is also the syntax used by some Infocom games. So please do not interpret commas (",") as command separators.

The same problem could be present if you use full stop (".") as a command separator, since "." can be used for other things, e.g. a rough money system etc:

How much do you want to pay?
<1.50
(a task could be created, which regards the number before "." as pounds and the number after "." as pence.)

I still haven't seen "." used like this in ADRIFT, but would like the opportunity to do so. Perhaps, in the Developer, the author could choose which seperator to use, e.g. "," or "." or ";" or "and" or "then". Ideally, more than one seperator could be chosen.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 5.0