ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Overriding Player Movement interference.

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Overriding Player Movement interference.

Postby rovarsson » Thu May 14, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi all,

I said in my WIP some time ago that I was going to customize all the Player Movement tasks in TT. I wanted the player to see a sentence or two describing her walk from one location to the next on the first time she took a certain path. ( With a 'Display only once'. After that, I would put a simple "You go west." or something in an alternative description.) I found in some games I have played that this can heighten the immersion quite a bit.

ADRIFT seems not to cope with this very well. The restrictions on the different tasks ( e.g. WEST from location 1 and WEST from location 2) interfere with each other, so I end up getting the restriction message to task 1 when I type WEST in location 2. It's a bit like juggling, only with priorities. What I would actually need is hard logic like "IF AND ONLY IF player types WEST in location 1 THEN move PC to location x and run task LOOK". This, as far as I can tell, cannot be done with restrictions and priorities.

I am thinking about going way over the Player Movement task's head with General Tasks, but I am very reluctant to do this. It seems a bit like overkill. Otherwise, I could trim down the amount of Player Movement overrides and use them only in cases that are actually important to the game rather than pleasing my aesthetic whimsy.

Any thoughts?
rovarsson

Re: Overriding Player Movement interference.

Postby DazaKiwi » Thu May 14, 2020 10:38 pm

I came up with a method that might be ideal for what you want? this would be suited to a very small game, as it would be a lot of work to add the extra descriptions. What i did was using a Specific task that runs AFTER the player moves that sets a text variable (DIR) to the direction of the player movement. Then in the locations i created an alt desc for each direction the player can come from (in this demo only 2) which will only display the desc if the variable DIR = "West" for example and then lastly there is a append to previous with the description of where the player can go from there. Show Exits was turned off.
Attachments
ImmersivePlayerMoveDescV1.taf
(16.46 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
DazaKiwi

Postby Denk » Thu May 14, 2020 11:36 pm

rovarsson wrote:Hi all,

I said in my WIP some time ago that I was going to customize all the Player Movement tasks in TT. I wanted the player to see a sentence or two describing her walk from one location to the next on the first time she took a certain path. ( With a 'Display only once'. After that, I would put a simple "You go west." or something in an alternative description.) I found in some games I have played that this can heighten the immersion quite a bit.

ADRIFT seems not to cope with this very well. The restrictions on the different tasks ( e.g. WEST from location 1 and WEST from location 2) interfere with each other, so I end up getting the restriction message to task 1 when I type WEST in location 2. It's a bit like juggling, only with priorities. What I would actually need is hard logic like "IF AND ONLY IF player types WEST in location 1 THEN move PC to location x and run task LOOK". This, as far as I can tell, cannot be done with restrictions and priorities.

It can be done and you don't even need to mess with priorities.

You must remove the messages in the restrictions. If you remove those messages, ADRIFT will go through all specific tasks until it meets a specific task where all restrictions are fulfilled, i.e. location AND direction. The parent task Player Movement ensures that restriction messages are given if the player cannot move in the specified direction.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby rovarsson » Fri May 15, 2020 5:34 am

--> DazaKiwi: Since I'm on location 30 of part 1 of the game, one could hardly call it very small. I'll look at your suggestion though. Might come in handy.

-->Debk to the rescue (again. Is helping desperate Drifters your fulltime occupation? :) ) I thought I was being thorough, ticking all the boxes and filling in all the lines. Didn't stop to think typing nothing was a viable alternarive. (Weeeelll,;;; there was that nagging voice in the back of my head going "Really, why is this necessary. If all runs correctly, no one will ever see this...")
Thanks.
rovarsson

Return to ADRIFT 5.0