ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Alternate description order of execution?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Alternate description order of execution?

Postby P/o Prune » Sun May 17, 2020 7:37 am

This keeps on peeing me off to no end :x
In what order does the runner execute descriptions / alternate descriptions?
I have a wall. The player, standing on the ground examining the wall will get the following description.
Default:
"The mortar is rock hard, except at a spot high up where it seems to be crumbling."

Then if he gets up on an object and >x mortar he will get this description (since he is now closer to the mortar)
Alternate 1:
Through the hundred of years the mortar at this particular spot has crumbled and should be easily removed.

Finally, if he manages to remove the mortar and >x mortar, this should appear.
Alternate 2:
The mortar is missing around one of the stones where you have managed to scrape it away.

The problem is that I keep getting the default description even if the player is close to the mortar or have scraped it away.

I could go about it the hard way and create three different objects, but I thought that the alternate description option was to make things easier.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Alternate description order of execution?

Postby Denk » Sun May 17, 2020 12:02 pm

If the restrictions for alternate 1 and 2 are fulfilled, they should display, so it is strange that you are always getting the default description. I know this works in v35. It probably works in v36 too, so you have probably made a mistake somewhere. Are some of the descriptions set to "only display once"?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby Lazzah » Sun May 17, 2020 12:53 pm

I have had problems with alternative descriptions (AD) as well. In the case where I have an AD after a default message that is set to only display once, when I have played the game the correct default message appears the first time the task is executed and then the next time the AD is displayed. However, when my playtester played the game, the default message was never displayed, ADRIFT only displayed the AD every time. Weird or what? :?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Lazzah » Sun May 17, 2020 1:00 pm

P/o, maybe you would be better off including a restriction in the X MORTAR task: Task 'Remove Mortar' must not be complete' with the message "The mortar is missing around one of the stones where you have managed to scrape it away." That way the correct message will be displayed.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby rovarsson » Sun May 17, 2020 8:45 pm

Lazzah wrote:P/o, maybe you would be better off including a restriction in the X MORTAR task: Task 'Remove Mortar' must not be complete' with the message "The mortar is missing around one of the stones where you have managed to scrape it away." That way the correct message will be displayed.

This tip worked for me when I was having a similar problem with alternative descriptions misbehaving. (Bàd alternative description. Bàd.)

It does however require you to create a new EXAMINE task, so you're putting in the same extra work as you would creating multiple objects.
rovarsson

Return to ADRIFT 5.0