ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Overriding default text on new tasks

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Overriding default text on new tasks

Postby David Whyld » Tue May 19, 2020 12:12 pm

Whenever I create a new task - say FIRE CANNON - it has default text included in the restrictions tab under 'referenced object must exist', 'referenced object...' etc along the lines of "Sorry, I'm not sure which object you are trying to fire". I can edit this if I want, but if I then create a new task - say LOAD CANNON - there's more default text included in the restrictions tab.

So far I've just been editing every new task and replacing the default text each time, but is there a way to change it so that all new tasks contain the text I want? I've looked through v5 but if there's an option to do it, I'm not seeing it anywhere.
David Whyld

Re: Overriding default text on new tasks

Postby Denk » Tue May 19, 2020 1:04 pm

Unfortunately, there isn't an option to do that. Perhaps the easiest approach is to mark the three edited default restrictions in the "Fire %object%" and copy them. Then you can paste the three restrictions into the new task. If the restriction message contains the verb of the task, you will have to modify that word in the restriction message after you have copied them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby David Whyld » Tue May 19, 2020 1:41 pm

That's a shame. I was sure there'd be a way and I was just missing it. So far, I've just replaced the default text with "y1" and used a text override to replace that with "You see no such thing". It's not ideal but I prefer it to the default text. Thanks anyway.
David Whyld

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed May 20, 2020 9:36 pm

Also remember if you do create your own commands that share some keywords with build in commands, you can adjust the priority of that tasks so it will get looked at first and not run a parent task. That is if your command is uniquely different that a specific task override wouldn't work. But obviously load and fire doesn't fit that but I was just saying as a reminder if you do have some tasks that do have a keyword the same as a parent task.
DazaKiwi

Return to ADRIFT 5.0