ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Greeting character

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Greeting character

Postby P/o Prune » Sat May 23, 2020 8:27 am

When player meets a character the first time the conversation tree allows for an Explicit introduction. I was under the assumption that this was only displayed the first time the player greeted the character but my player can greet the character as many times as he wants to and get the same message.
I can get around it by making the message "Only display once" and then add an alternate message. But like I mentioned above, I thought the player could only greet a character once.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Greeting character

Postby Denk » Sat May 23, 2020 11:30 am

Assuming that you have both implicit and explicit introductions, an introduction is intended to be displayed whenever you enter into a conversation with the character. This means that you do not need to type e.g. SAY HI though you can choose to do so. Instead, you can just go ahead with SAY/TELL/ASK something. The first time you e.g. ask the character about something, the introduction will be displayed before the character replies to your question. The next time it will not, unless if you have left the conversation in the meantime, e.g. by talking to someone else or if you said goodbye or if you left the location and came back. But you can always force the explicit introduction e.g. by typing SAY HI.

So I guess you can say that the purpose of an explicit introduction compared to a normal general command is to tell ADRIFT that you do not need to print the implicit introduction first. You may also want the explicit introduction to be something else than the implicit introduction.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Re: Greeting character

Postby Lazzah » Sat May 23, 2020 7:34 pm

I stay clear of the conversation tab for characters and use conversation tasks instead. For a GREET CHARACTER action I use a general task which has 5 command lines, as per the attached demo. I use a variable to record whether or not the PC has already greeted the character.

Greet Fred.taf
(14.91 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Return to ADRIFT 5.0