ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

climb character?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

climb character?

Postby P/o Prune » Tue May 26, 2020 7:33 am

I want my player character to be able to climb another character. Is there a way I can accomplish that?
I have tried using a general task where the priority is lower than the default general task "Climb object" but this doesn't work.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: climb character?

Postby Denk » Tue May 26, 2020 10:05 am

I just tried to make a general "climb character"-task using saabie's standard library and it worked fine (see attached demo). It might not be obvious that you are on top of a character. You will have to X ME to be told that you are on top of a character. And if you want to restrict the player e.g. from going anywhere while the player is on top of a character, you will have to make tasks for that also.

Here is a transcript from my demo:
adrift Code: Select all
By House
You are standing by a house. A ladder leans against the wall.  John is here.  An exit leads south.  

> x me
You see nothing interesting about yourself.

> climb john
You climb on top of John.

> x me
You see nothing interesting about yourself.  you are Sitting on John.

> say to john go south
You tell John to go to south. John follows your order.

Lawn
You are on a cosy lawn.  John is here.  An exit leads north.

> x me
You see nothing interesting about yourself.  you are Sitting on John.

Note that I only did a CLIMB CHARACTER task, not a CLIMB DOWN CHARACTER task. I also added a task so you can order John around when you are on top of him. That was done to test what happens if you move John to another location. As expected, you stay on John if you move John around.

Note, that in the special case that a character has the same noun as an object (e.g. Mr. Ladder and a ladder), there will be problems. If this is the case, there is a solution to that also, but I don't want to go into that if that is not the case.
Attachments
ClimbJohn.taf
(23.5 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Return to ADRIFT 5.0