ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Synonym problem

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Synonym problem

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:27 am

In my game the player has to cross a river. He is carrying a wineskin (for later use)
He can fill the wineskin with water from the river, thus moving object water into wineskin. This is all very simple.
The problem is that he has to cross the river and players may use >cross water in stead of river and will then get the message there is no water here, or something like that.
I have tried to use synonym river -> water but that completely messes up things.
Any suggestions on how to get around this?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Synonym problem

Postby Lazzah » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:49 am

P/o Prune wrote:In my game the player has to cross a river. He is carrying a wineskin (for later use)
He can fill the wineskin with water from the river, thus moving object water into wineskin. This is all very simple.
The problem is that he has to cross the river and players may use >cross water in stead of river and will then get the message there is no water here, or something like that.
I have tried to use synonym river -> water but that completely messes up things.
Any suggestions on how to get around this?

Just create a general task with the command line [cross] [water/river] with all the appropriate restrictions and actions. Make sure that the task priority is high (just delete one number is what I do). I think that should solve your problem.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: Synonym problem

Postby Denk » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:03 am

(Just saw Lazzah answered this after I had written but not submitted my response, so here you have my response anyway :whistle: )

The solution depends on how you have implemented your "cross river"-task. If you first have created a "CROSS %object%" general task and then made a specific task for crossing the river, ADRIFT will ask the player something like:

Which water? The collected water or the river.

For this to work, the two "water"-objects must either have different 1st nouns or different adjectives. If the water in the wineskin has no adjective, you could get a message like:

Which water? The water or the river.

It would then be possible to choose RIVER but not possible to choose the water in the wineskin. And you will have the same problem with e.g. EXAMINE WATER so you might as well make sure that the player can distinguish between the two objects by having different 1st nouns or different adjectives.

If you are using a General task like e.g. [cross] {the} [river/water], the task should run if it has a high enough priority no matter if the player types river or water.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Return to ADRIFT 5.0